Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
The mission of St. Joseph Mercy Hospice is simple. We provide comfort care and compassion to those patients embarking on the end of life's journey. Our goal is to assist dying patients with dignity and respect providing support medically, socially and spiritually.
What is the Hospice Philosophy?
· Hospice care provides comfort and kindness to those persons nearing the end of life’s journey.
· Hospice will help patients and their loved ones make decisions about how and where they want to spend the rest of their lives.
· Hospice is a special kind of caring.
· Hospice treats patients, not the disease. The focus is on care, not cure. A patients medical, social, emotional, and spiritual needs are addressed by our hospice team of professionals and volunteers.
· Hospice considers an entire family, not just the patient as the "Unit of Care." Patients and their loved ones are included in the decision making process. Hospice will help make them make choices about end of life issues and enable them to have greater control over these choices. Bereavement counseling is provided to families for at least 13 months after a patients passing.
· Hospice offers palliative, rather than curative treatment. Hospice will provide care and comfort when cure is no longer an option. Through ever-advancing technology, pain and symptom control will enable patients to live as fully and comfortably as possible.
· Hospice emphasizes quality of life rather than length of life. Hospice neither hastens nor postpones death. It affirms life and regards dying as a normal process.
St. Joseph Mercy Hospice is seeking caring and compassionate people to join our Hospice Team as Volunteers.
Hospice Volunteers provide support to patients and families facing life-limiting illnesses.
Patient and Family support may come in the form of companionship, comforting presence, caregiver relief, light household chores, or vigil volunteering.
St. Joseph Mercy Hospice requires a complete background check, fingerprints , TB testing and training for each volunteer, all of which is provided and paid for by St Joseph Mercy Hospice