Here's a sample of our volunteer opportunities:VIEW AS
To empower poor people in Uganda, especially women and children, to overcome poverty through: income-generation activities and provision of internal revolving loan funds and marketing of the Ugandan women's craft products here in the U.S. coupled with education and training programs and holistic community development in rural northern Ugandan villages.
Our empowerment activities include:
- 200+ women women and their families in 3 different women's groups in Uganda
- over 200 children sponsored in school
- partnering with a rural Ugandan community to operate a primary school of over 500 students including 150 students at the Nursery (pre-school) level
- a Girls' Education Initiative program for over 120 girls to help keep them in school versus dropping out for early marriage
- partnering with this same community on the operation of its community health center which serves 7000 in five surrounding villages
Prior to working with OU, our women participants were normally living on less than $2 per day, and were supporting 8 to 10 children and orphans in their households. Many are widows whose husbands died in the war, or from AIDS.
Our goal is to work with these women over the long term to build their leadership within the groups, and provide education and training so that they can eventually conduct self-sustaining businesses that will allow their families to progress out of poverty. We do not give handouts but encourage the women to help themselves.
To help generate funds for the above activities, we market the women's paper beaded jewelry and other craft products here in the U.S. The women then re-invest these earnings in businesses that they can do in Uganda all year long.
Outreach Uganda accepts donations. Donate Now.
- Carol Davis
- Need admin access?