Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
College Avenue Center is one of two thriving JFS older adult centers. Hundreds of participants enjoy daily meals, exercise classes, art classes, games, cultural programs, and live entertainment. CAC is a home away from home for many older adults.
Goal of Position:
The computer lab, "Cyber Caf?," provides hands-on experience for older adults to learn about the basic functions of a computer. The Cyber Caf? Lecturer helps connect older adults to the cyber world by providing education on various computer, tablet or other technology topics. Lecturers can choose their own topic to focus on. Some topics that lecturers have chosen to teach on are Microsoft Word, Excel, IPhone, Android, Video Streaming and Ebay. Two mediums that lecturers have used to teach are Powerpoints on a projector and handouts, while others have simply lectured. This is a wonderful way to help older adults feel comfortable using computers, and to expand their opportunities and worldview in the process!
- A great opportunity to work with older adults and teach them valuable computer skills.
- The benefit of knowing you are helping to improve the lives of older adults.
- Instruct and monitor a class of approx. 8 - 12 older adults, utilizing one’s own expertise
- Assist students with basic computer instruction and into intermediate skills.
- Have fun and enjoy being creative while working with older adults.
- Must be computer literate and have a solid understanding of computers and some MS Office programs.
- Must feel comfortable teaching a small class size (12 students max)
- Must have patience working with older adult population
- Must be okay with lots of questions
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Have own transportation to the College Avenue Social & Wellness Center
- Complete a volunteer application online at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Attend a JFS Volunteer Interview
Classes are 2 hours per session. The hours for this position are flexible within business hours at the College Avenue Center. Hours for this Center are Monday- Friday, 9 am- 3 pm. Ideal candidates are able to make a minimum 3 month commitment. *High need for Mondays from 11:00am-12:00pm
Temple Emanu-El ? 6299 Capri Drive ? San Diego, CA 92120
Cyber Caf? Program Assistant
- Basic Computer Skills
- Adult Education
- Internet Research
- Elder care
- PC Platform
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Community Outreach Volunteer
- Food Drive Assistant
- Event Planning Internship
- Development Administrative...
- Food Drive Volunteer
- Hillcrest Distribution Volunteer
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Workshop Facilitator
- Data Entry Specialist-Community...
- Murphy Canyon Military...
- Marketing & Social Media Intern
- Bingo Caller
- BrainHQ Facilitator
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Cozy Cafe-rista
- Receptionist Assistant
- Volunteer Donor Steward
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant
- Data Entry Specialist - Helping...