Looking for an archivist and store organizer to help run a brand new history museum on the Lower East Side. The job would include:
- working with and organizing art, photographs, etc.
- dealing with customers- working with tour guides
- answering emails
- helping with start-up tasks
The concentration of the museum is to have an accurate portrayal of the history around the grass roots activism scene, including the music, culture, art, and more that occurred in the lower east side, which was the beat of the east coast of America at the time. Focusing on a period around 1980s until the present, we want to highlight grass roots and community change, the history of the NYC squat scene, and how community members including squatters, gardeners, artists, environmentalists, and non-corporate thinkers organized in their communities. This may include actions such as starting community centers, cleaning up abandoned lots and making them community gardens, fighting gentrification, using parks and open spaces to organize the area to retain community values and fight corporations and gentrification. Many of the Lower East Side communities, ideas, campaigns, music, art, and culture may have started in the east village, but this change pulsed out to the rest of the city and even has influenced areas all across the country.
This is a brand new concept which needs a lot of help starting up. Therefore, you must be independent, a self-starter, and have great organizational skills.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Social Media & Web Intern-...
- Time's Up! - Bicycle Mechanic
- Time's Up! - Website Developer
- Public Relations/Media Internship
- Video Archiving Intern
- Archivist for Environmental...
- Intern- Museum of Reclaimed...
- Museum Archivist and Store...
- Bicycle Co-op Space...
- Time's Up! - Fundraising...
- Time's Up! - Volunteer Coordinator
- INTERN- Time's Up! Assistant to...