Program: The Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor program matches isolated and
Jewish individuals with a volunteer. Volunteers provide weekly social visits. The goal of these
social visits is to alleviate loneliness and to enhance the individuals’ connection to the Jewish
community. In addition, the program provides Jewish holiday and Sabbath outreach programs to San
Diego County senior living facilities. These programs create a greater sense of Jewish connection
for those unable to regularly attend a synagogue or Jewish Community Center.
Goal of Position: The goal of the Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor Volunteer is to alleviate
isolation for individuals who are homebound and unwell. In addition, the volunteer can help improve
a senior’s sense of connectedness to the Jewish community.
Benefits: This is a wonderful opportunity for someone to make an immediate and
tangible difference in the lives of individuals. Volunteers can make terrific new friendships and
have the satisfaction of enriching the recipients’ lives with new conversations, connections, and
* Visit match/client at least once per week for a minimum of one hour
* Report any noticeable changes in client’s behavior, appearance, or demeanor to program
* Report monthly hours and case notes to program coordinator
* Attend quarterly volunteer meetings
* This volunteer position is ideal for individuals who find it is easy to engage in conversations,
enjoys the company of older adults, and who are comfortable with issues of older adulthood such as
declining health and frailty
* Individuals must be over 18 years of age
* Individuals must feel comfortable entering people’s homes
* This is a good opportunity for 2 friends or a couple to do together
1. Volunteers must be able to provide their own transportation to seniors’ homes
2. Ability to receive and read regular email messages from program coordinator
3. Possess a valid CA driver’s license and current proof of insurance if they wish to transport
4. Must be willing to adhere to a strict confidentiality agreement
5. Complete a volunteer application online at www.jfssd.org/volapp
6. Complete JFS Volunteer Interview with Volunteer Services staff and Program Coordinator
7. Complete a one-hour Volunteer Orientation/Training with Program Coordinator before the first
solo visit with senior
8. Report monthly volunteer hours in a timely fashion to Program Coordinator
9. Attend quarterly group supervision meetings, approximately two hours in length (typically
on Sunday or weeknights)
10. Attend annual individual supervision meeting approximately two hours in length (typically on
11. Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
Length of Commitment:
This position requires a minimum nine month commitment, approximately one - two hours per week
visiting clients and communicating to program coordinator. Scheduling of visiting hours is at the
discretion of the volunteer and client(s).
Volunteers visit clients in private homes, apartments, older adult living facilities and board and
care homes throughout San Diego County
Supervisors: Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor Coordinator
- Faith-based Leadership
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Elder care
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Development Administrative...
- Friendly Match: Mentor a Refugee...
- Food Pantry Downtown needs You...
- Prepare Warm Meals to Feed Your...
- Give Rides & Smiles! San Diego...
- Share your Knowledge, Talent,...
- Mandarin Translator
- Jewish BIGPals: Mentors Needed...
- Serve Lunch to Older Adults at...
- Corner Market Volunteer
- Food Pantry needs your help to...
- Blog & Social Media Internship
- Corner Market Volunteer: Restore...
- Child Activity Helper
- Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly...
- On the Go Administrative Assistant
- Food Pantry Warehouse Volunteers...
- Nonprofit needs Reception...
- Activity Instructor/Facilitator
- Facilities Assitant