Social Wellness Friendly Match: Connect with an Isolated Older Adult
Jewish Family Service of San Diego
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
Prior to novel Coronavirus, the JFS Social Wellness Centers and Aging & Wellness Services provided a robust programming for older adults, such as daily meals, exercise classes, art classes, games, cultural programs, and live entertainment. As a human service agency that works with vulnerable populations, including older adults who are most at-risk, we’ve mobilized Social Wellness Centers to be online, providing virtual content such as online social gatherings, training, and entertainment. Our staff is continually working to ensure all clients impacted by program adjustments or closures continue to have the support they need.
Goal of Position:
JFS continues to provide holistic programming through online opportunities. Moreover, JFS paid staff perform weekly wellness checks with clients, ensuring that their basic and social needs are addressed. But we are missing a key component: socialization. That’s where you come in! We are looking for caring volunteers to be matched with an older adult to create a connection through a mutually agreed upon platform - whether it be a friendly phone call, Zoom chat, an email, or written note or card. The goal would be to create a community while we are navigating social distancing and this new normal.
- Connect with your match at least 2x/month via phone, email, Zoom, FaceTime, or written card
- Provide follow-up and report feedback to JFS staff
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must complete a Volunteer Application
- Must live in San Diego area (we cannot accept out-of-state volunteers for this role)
- Must submit the JFS Friendly Match survey
- Must attend an online orientation and training with program coordinator
- Must adhere to a strict confidentiality agreement
- Must speak clearly and have strong verbal skills
- Must be friendly and can work well with our older adult population
- X1 or x2 connection points per month
- This position requires a minimum of a three-month commitment
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
8804 Balboa Avenue, SAN DIEGO, CA 92123, US
Jewish Family Service is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego. Our wide range of integrated services Empower Individuals & Families to Move Toward Self-Sufficiency, Support Aging With Dignity, and Foster Community Connection & Engagement throughout San Diego County and the Coachella Valley.
Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter. Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego Move Forward.