Bikkur Holim: Become a Friendly Visitor to an Older Adult
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
DONATE TO THIS
38 people are interested
Jewish Family Service of San Diego is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient community. We believe our volunteers are the backbone of our Agency. We strive to ensure that each volunteer is treated with dignity and respect. Our goal is your success. Be our partner in Moving Forward Together.
The Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor program matches isolated and homebound Jewish individuals with a volunteer. Volunteers provide social visits. The goal of these visits is to alleviate loneliness and to enhance the individuals’ connection to the Jewish community.
Goal of Position:
The goal of the Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor Volunteer is to alleviate isolation for individuals who are homebound and isolated. In addition, the volunteer can help improve a senior’s sense of connectedness to the Jewish community.
This is a wonderful opportunity for someone to make an immediate and tangible difference in the lives of individuals. Volunteers can make terrific new friendships and have the satisfaction of enriching the recipients’ lives with new conversations, connections, and warm visits.
- Visit match/client at least once per week for a minimum of one hour
- Report any noticeable changes in client’s behavior, appearance, or demeanor to program coordinator
- Report monthly hours and case notes to program coordinator
- Attend quarterly volunteer meetings
- This volunteer position is ideal for individuals who find it is easy to engage in conversations, enjoys the company of older adults, and who are comfortable with issues of older adulthood such as declining health and frailty
- Individuals must be over 18 years of age
- Individuals must feel comfortable entering people’s homes
- This is a good opportunity for 2 friends or a couple to do together
- Volunteers must be able to provide their own transportation to seniors’ homes
- Ability to receive and read regular email messages from program coordinator
- Possess a valid CA driver’s license and current proof of insurance if they wish to transport client
- Must be willing to adhere to a strict confidentiality agreement
- Complete a volunteer application online at www.jfssd.org/volapp
- Complete JFS Volunteer Interview with Volunteer Services staff and Program Coordinator
- Complete a one-hour Volunteer Orientation/Training with Program Coordinator before the first solo visit with senior
- Report monthly volunteer hours in a timely fashion to Program Coordinator
- Attend quarterly group supervision meetings, approximately two hours in length (typically on Sunday or weeknights)
- Attend annual individual supervision meeting approximately two hours in length (typically on weeknights)
- Agree to background check, reference check, and privacy & security policy
This position requires a minimum one year commitment, approximately one - two hours per week visiting clients and communicating to program coordinator. Scheduling of visiting hours is at the discretion of the volunteer and client(s).
Volunteers visit clients in private homes, apartments, older adult living facilities and board and care homes throughout San Diego County
Bikkur Holim Friendly Visitor Coordinator
We'll work with your schedule.
Various Locations Around San DiegoSan Diego, CA 92123
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Elder care
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training