Since 1984, Violence Intervention Program (VIP) has been a national leader in building transformative programs that raise the standard of care for all victims of child abuse in Los Angeles County. VIP is a non-profit, hospital-based program located at the LAC USC Medical Center in East Los Angeles. Our mission is to protect and treat all victims of violence, and serves over 20,000 victims of violence annually through medical, mental health and supportive services.
Please find below an outline of our exciting, ongoing volunteer opportunities:
- Project Description: The VIP program offers our child clients (4-18 years old) with tutoring services to assist in their educational success. Volunteers serve as tutors to the kids in our program providing them with weekly after-school homework help. Volunteers are placed with same client during the duration of their commitment. Please note that VIP-CMHC is not open on the weekends.
- Time Commitment: Volunteers commit to an hour a week on a day that matches the volunteer's schedule. Tutoring occurs Monday - Friday between 2:00pm and 7:00pm. We would like volunteers to commit to a minimum of three months to provide clients with a consistent tutor and schedule for that time.
- Project Description: The VIP program offers our child clients (8-18 years) with a big brother/big sister to engage in fun community based activities on the weekends two days out of the month. VIP reimburses mentors for all expenses at the end of each month. Each mentor also makes a weekly check in phone call with their mentee to see how school is going and to plan their next outing. The mentor’s role is to provide them with opportunities and inspiration to lead healthy and productive lives, as well as instill the desire to pursue higher education.
- Time Commitment: A minimum of 1 year, calling the mentee once per week to check in and taking the mentee out twice per month to a community based activity. VIP reimburses for all mentor/mentee activities.
Mental Health Activity Center (MHAC):
- Project Description: The VIP has an onsite center where clients ranging in age from 5-18 can read, use computers, work on school assignments and participate in arts and crafts activities. Volunteers are needed to supervise the clients while they use the facility, and engage them in a variety of activities. The MHAC is open Monday-Thursday between the hours of 2:00pm-7:00pm.
- Time Commitment: Volunteers can assist in this center for 2 hours per week (minimum) on a selected day(s) of the week. The schedule will remain the same each week, and will remain consistent for 3 months. You can elect to come in to volunteer in the center more than once a week if desired.
- Project description: VIP has been fortunate to have donors that from time to time donate articles of clothing, books, and other needed items to the agency. Volunteers are needed to help sort and store away the donations as they come in. VIP also coordinates events for our clients throughout the year which include but are not limited to: Annual Holiday Party, Halloween Party, Annual Back to School Event. During these events, we need help setting up, running arts and crafts tables, games, and handing out snacks to clients. These events happen once a year and help is needed on the day of the event, which is specified on an email send to volunteers. Additionally, if you or your organization has a specific project in mind, please feel free to contact us with ideas!
- Time Commitment: Donations are being accepted year-round, so whenever the need arises an email is sent out to all volunteers. Volunteers can come in during the window of time specified on the emails. Usually the windows of time are very flexible as well as the days of week.
Please note that all volunteers must:
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old / 21years old for mentoring
- Must be Live Scanned for fingerprints through the DOJ/FBI (VIP will conduct the check for volunteers)
- Show Proof of clear TB skin test within last 6 months
- Take and pass a drug test (VIP will provide paperwork needed, test is free)
- Valid Driver License and Insurance (for mentoring only)
- Volunteers must be reliable, responsible and trustworthy
- General Education
- Child Development
- Youth Services
- Child Welfare
- Child Care
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Mon-Fri 8am-8pm
- mentors 21yrs or older; tutor/childcare 16 yrs or