The storm drain system is designed to prevent flooding by carrying rainwater from city streets to the ocean. Yetchemicals, trash, and oil that have been spilled between rains can also enter the storm drain system. From here they enter pipelines that are not connected to the sewer system, and the water from the storm drains eventually flows, untreated, into the ocean, causing large amounts of pollution.
By participating in the storm drain stenciling program, you are acting to educate your community about the harmful effects of improper waste disposal. By marking the drains with a pollution prevention message, we remind people that no oil, soap, or debris should go down the drains.
Follow these steps to get involved in storm drain stenciling:
- Contact Moriah, Community Programs Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-704-2782 to make sure that your community is approved for stenciling and to schedule a time to pick up a Storm Drain Stenciling Kit (please give at least one week prior notice).
- Search throughout your community for storm drains that need to be stenciled, or re-stenciled.
- Pick up the kit at our office. We require a $25 deposit for each kit, cash or check only. Your check can be made out to I Love A Clean San Diego. In order to receive your deposit back, kits should be returned in good condition and within one month from the pick up date.
- All volunteers must sign a waiver to participate, and minors need a parent or guardian signature. Download the waiver here.
- Start stenciling the storm drains!
- Environmental Education
- Environmental Policy
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Kids Teens People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment