Post Partum Volunteer - Care Partner (Nursing)
Kaiser Permanente LAMC
Perform tasks that do not require licensure or certification such as:
- Completing the Getting to Know You Sheet with the patient
- Checking and cleaning the NKE Boards - updating Care Team Information
- Care Experience Rounds - Delivering blankets, towels, washcloths, beverages as approved, reading to the patient or providing magazines. Art kits as requested.
- Assist with Patient Mobility and Ambulation on level 4 patients. Assist patient in achieving daily walking goals with minimal assistance.
VOLUNTEER SERVICE DESCRIPTION
- Assist with meals -(if okay with nurse and CNA)- First go around and help set up trays, open all utensil packages, food covers, and offer to chop food that are NOT bite sized.
- Ensure environment of care is safe:
- no clutter
- Call light within reach
- Side rails up(urinal within reach-where the patient wants it -privacy)
- Review the patients Admission Folder with the patient and their family.
- If applicable, ensure water pitcher is full
- Calls nurse via Vocera if patient needs assistance (4-P's of hourly rounding)
- Turns on TIGR menu, goes over various topics of interest to patients, as well as the music channel
#69 and encourages its use to white out the unit noise.
- Round and ask patients whether they would like a quiet kit (blue emesis bag, eye mask, ear plugs, toothbrush & paste, hand sanitizer, lotion, and the whole thing is wrapped with a decorated saran wrap, tied with a ribbon that has the UNIT business card that says, "Welcome to our Unit:_________. Please use these personal items we’ve packaged to help your hospitalization as comfortable as possible" and explain the items as well as encourage patients to use them)
- Sets up AM/PM care, last round of fresh water, encourages patients to use eye mask & ear plugs "to promote healing environment, quietness when you need it for rest".
- Reinforce safety message "Call, Don't fall" to patients.
- Establish relationship with family and visitors (know their names and relationship to patient)
- Provide hand-off to Red Vest Concierge providing wayfinding services throughout facility (to provide directions to cafe, parking, local hotels, local restaurants etc.)
- Ensure that each patient has WELCOME brochure (obtain one from Admitting if patient does not have one)
- Ensure each patient knows about important pages in WELCOME book (Example: patient rights and patient safety)
- Role model hand-washing and educate patient and family members on the importance of hand hygiene and what to expect from any member of their healthcare team in regards to infection control.
- Complete the daily log sheet and complete a huddle meeting with leaders and a pass down before finishing their shift.
- Assist with patient rounding pertaining to patient satisfaction as requested by team.
Shifts available; 8:00 - Noon, Noon - 4:00, 4:00 - 8:00 pm and 8:00 pm - midnight
About Kaiser Permanente LAMC
4867 Sunset Blvd, Volunteer Services Department, Los Angeles, CA 90027, US
The Volunteer Services Department at Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center was established to develop and maintain a caring, compassionate and efficient volunteer staff who offer an extra dimension of care and services to our members and their families without replacing any paid positions throughout the Medical Center campus.
The Los Angeles Medical Center (LAMC) Volunteer Services Department consists of over 800 volunteers, donating thousands of hours in 40 different areas of the hospital, mostly in patient care areas. Kaiser LAMC is the Tertiary Center for all of the So. Cal Kaisers, our specialties include the Heart Center, Stroke Center, Neuro Center and many more. We also are one of three Pediatric Specialty Care Centers for Kaiser Permanente So Cal.
Our volunteers experience a high level opportunity to interact with our members whether it be at the front desk greeting and checking in our members or as a Care Partner in the nursing units.
Our volunteers get first hand experience interacting with our physcians, nurses and other healthcare professionals, who are invested in growing the next generation of healthcare providers.
Steps to become a Volunteer:
A commitment of 200 hours per year served our patients needs best. Prior to applying to be a volunteer, please ensure that you can help out for the entire 200 hours required.
To obtain an application please copy and paste the following URL and submit to the volunteer office: https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=2054278339