Want to start getting in shape (or better shape)? Want to meet new people and have new experiences? Have you been thinking about giving back to your community? Well, gleaning at FOOD Share will meet all of those needs --- and more. Gleaning at FOOD Share is the art of picking fruits and vegetables from trees owned by family, friends and neighbors so that that produce may be donated to those in need. We are approaching the 'citrus season’ and are looking for volunteers who love to work outside, climb ladders, pick fruit from the tops and bottoms of our community’s trees, and enjoy the companionship and camaraderie of others who feel the same. You will find our gleaners experiencing great joy as they give themselves a 'spiritual spa’ through gleaning for FOOD Share.
To perform the duties of this position, you must:
1. Be able to walk on terrain that may be uneven and contain obstacles such as exposed tree roots, ruts, irrigation pipes, sprinkler heads, and other grower-related equipment. Sturdy footwear is required.
2. Be able to safely do repetitive upper body movements and bending necessary to picking tree or row crops.
3. Use your judgment as to your ability to safely climb a ladder. Climbing and picking produce from a ladder, while at times necessary, is NOT a required skill.
4. Use your judgment as to the weight of filled produce containers you can safely lift and carry. Picked produce must be carried. You are not required to lift beyond your perceived strength level.
5. Know your working conditions as related to temperature. You must dress appropriately (i.e. long-sleeved shirt, hat, gloves, and/or sunscreen). Non-latex gloves will be provided for use as needed. OSHA heat stroke awareness training is required. Water will always be provided.
First step is sign up for volunteer orientation by visiting our website www.foodshare.com/volunteer and signing up for a date and time.
We have an up coming orange pick in Ojai on Wednesday, August 1st. Sign up on line!