Do you have a special talent or hobby to share? Are you interested in providing companionship and socialization to older adults in your community?
The Day Break III program in Sunnyvale (located at 535 Old San Francisco Road, First United Methodist Church) provides seniors with mild to moderate Alzheimer's or other related forms of dementia with the opportunity to engage in enriching activities in a safe environment away from home while their family caregivers receive some much-needed respite (break). The center is open Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 10am - 3pm. The seniors participate in socialization and health promotion activities, games, music, crafts, and lunch.
As a program volunteer, you would:
* Assist clients with program activities (helping with crafts projects, assisting with exercise, providing appropriate conversation, etc.)
* Support staff who are leading activities. Make sure you listen to all the instructions and provide directions for clients.
* Encourage clients to participate in program activities. Assist clients with the activities, but allow clients to do the activities on their own.
* Help with set-up and clean-up during lunch
* Offer support and reassurance to participants
* Assist with preparation for future activities
* Lead activities
* Provide appropriate conversation with clients. Please speak clearly and slowly to clients and control voice level as to not disrupt other clients.
* Respect clients, staff, and other volunteers
* Assist staff in other ways as needed
Please call today for more information about this volunteer opportunity and to receive an application. Please note that due to state licensing requirements for adult day care programs, a TB test and background check are required for all volunteers over the age of 18. Catholic Charities will reimburse you for all related costs.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- ESL/Citizenship Instructor
- Refugee Resettlement Employment...
- Refugee Foster Care Services...
- Refugee Resettlement Program -...
- Translator - Spanish to English
- Make a difference in the lives...
- Refugee Foster Care - Admin...
- Program Assistant / Kinship...
- Refugee Foster Parent
- Table Leader and Servers -...
- Healthy Steps Volunteer
- Healthy Steps Volunteer
- Advocate for Elderly - Be an...
- Child Care Assistant
- Make a meaningful impact in your...
- Computer Literacy Volunteer
- Day Break Cares-Adult Day Care...
- ESL Teaching Assistant
- Adult Day Care Center Volunteer...
- Client Greeter