Friends of the Desert Mountains
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where51500 CA-74Palm Desert, CA 92260
- Guided & Training Hikes
- Education, Training & Outreach
- Visitor Services
- Stewardship/Ed Hastey Trail
- Weed Warriors
- Citizen Science
- Youth Education
- Senior Education Program
- Genuine interest in and a desire to help the Friends fulfill it's mission
- Sensitivity to the needs of others and the ability to set clear, appropriate boundaries
- Willingness to follow the Friends policies and procedures
- Ability to work supervised or unsupervised as a team or individually
- Ability to work with youth, staff, volunteers and general public
- Must be 18 years old to lead a hike or operate a cash register
- May need to hike in a desert environment on uneven terrain
- May need to lean and use a variety of hand tools and equipment
- May need to lift heavy objects
- Schedule and attend an orientation session with the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete a volunteer application
- Agree to background testing procedures and certification if applicable
- Basic knowledge about the Friends, the National Mountain, BLM, and USFS
- Use of GPS equipment, compass, map, and camera
- Hiking safety, first aid, and CPR
- Knowledge of local history and conservation efforts in the Coachella Valley
- Knowledge of local wildlife and their habitat, flora, fauna and geology
- Event Planning / Management
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Teens People 55+
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 55
- Martha's Village & Kitchen
- Voices for Children (CASA)
- California Highway Patrol (...
- Palm Desert Library (Public...
- Palm Desert Library
- Indio Middle School
- Reliance Hospice
- Coachella Valley Repertory
- Desert Hot Springs Senior Center...
- Coachella Valley History Museum
- Desert Best Friend's Closet
- Jewish Family Service of the...
- RSVP Advisory Council Member
- Soldiers Organized Services (SOS)
- Paws & Hearts
- Children Discovery Museum
- Eisenhower Medical Center
- RSVP - Volunteer Program Office...
- Palm Springs International Film...
- Cathedral City Library