DONATE TO THIS
4 people are interested
Are you a People Person? Volunteer with us!
ORGANIZATION: CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
4 people are interested
The Museum needs volunteers interested in working with Museum visitors. We have plenty of volunteer applicants for our Research and Collections volunteer opportunities, in fact it is outright competitive. But we also need more volunteers interested in working with Museum visitors including families and children in order to fill all of our volunteer requests for events, etc. We need volunteers every day including weekends 10-1 to lead activities with visitors and Wednesdays 1-4pm.
Activity Leader- lead fun activities with visitors
Floor Ambassador- help visitors have an amazing visit through wayfinding, greeting, ticket scanning and other simple roles. Be the person that helps everyone have a great visit.
Event Volunteer- help out at special events at the Museum
Summary: The goal of the volunteer's role is to enhance and improve all Museum visitors’ experience. Volunteers will help visitors navigate the museum and help facilitate family-friendly activities. Volunteers help with wayfinding, lead activities, greet visitors, and help to shorten lines by scanning tickets when the Museum is busy.
Volunteers can volunteer every day the Museum is open to the public Tuesday- Sunday 10am-5pm. We especially need volunteers help during weekends, and breaks such as Winter break and Spring break, when the Museum welcomes many more visitors through its doors.
And we need activity leaders every day of the week Tues- Sunday 10am-1pm and Wednesdays 1-4pm.
To apply go to this webpage and click "Fill out an application" in the top right corner: https://app.betterimpact.com/PublicOrganization/c4ba17aa-d53c-42ba-8eeb-7247b94e9429/2
Make sure to remember the username and password for Better Impact that you create when you apply. All museum volunteers use their Better Impact account to sign up for volunteer activities and record their volunteer hours.
- Engage with families in a proactive way by welcoming them into the Museum and sharing what's happening today.
- Introduce an activity table such as the leaf rubbing cart and encouraging kids or adults to join.
- Offer wayfinding and problem solving
- Represent the Museum in a professional and friendly way at all times.
- Familiarize yourself with the Museum’s schedule of daily animal shows and other fun family friendly things to do to help answer visitors' questions.
- Volunteers can sign up to help with any of the activities below to improve and enhance Museum visitors’ experience:
- Floor Ambassador -Focused in a major intersection of the Museum to encourage attendance to shows and current science, direct visitors to restrooms, travelling exhibit, lactation station, gift shop and live animals outdoors.
- Floor Activity Facilitator - lead a leaf rubbing activity or other activities with visitors.
- Museum Greeter -greeting visitors upon arrival and helping them feel welcome. Sharing information about fun activities and help to orient them as they arrive and answer questions.
- Ticket Scanner- UseiPods to scan visitors' tickets and verify documents qualifying visitors for discounts shorten the admission line on busy days.
- Volunteer shifts are typically 2-4 hours long. We require all of our volunteers to use the Museum’ volunteer database system called Better Impact, to sign up for shifts and record their hours. Volunteers can sign up and log hours on the "My Impact’ phone app, the Museum iPad, or on their personal computers.
- A professional, friendly personality to greet the Museum’s guests and guide them through the Museum.
Communication and comfort starting conversations and engaging with visitors is a must.
Able to engage in clear, concise and effective communication to varied audiences; able to empathize with others’ needs and respond sensitively; able to use good judgment when responding to objections successfully.
Exhibit enthusiasm for museum by providing a welcoming presence.
Able to adapt old methods for new uses or seek continuous improvement in procedures.
Able to remain calm and professional through stressful or ambiguous circumstances; able to objectively and calmly interpret information and solve problems
Able to show team spirit and treat team members with cooperation and respect; able to share useful information with team members; able to support and comply with decisions
Physical Volunteering Conditions:
- Most activities can be done from a wheelchair or seated instead of standing to accommodate volunteers with differing abilities.
5 More opportunities with CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
About CLEVELAND MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
1 WADE OVAL DR, CLEVELAND, OH 44106, US
To inspire, through science and education, a passion for nature, the protection of natural diversity, the fostering of health, and leadership to a sustainable future.
The Museum is currently in the midst of a transformation. We are pioneering a new model for natural history museums through an expansion, complete reinstallation of our exhibits, and development of new public spaces.
At the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, we believe that discovery starts with you. Explore our exhibits, meet our wild animals, take a hike, join a class-all while creating meaningful memories. We make science relatable by cultivating your curiosity. When you visit the Museum, you’ll have the opportunity to delve deep into the past in our dinosaur hall, discover the outer reaches of the Universe through our astronomy programs, and experience natural wonders in outdoor galleries.
Beyond the Museum campus, we protect more than 11,000 acres through our Natural Areas Program. These areas represent the remarkable biological diversity that was once widespread throughout the region.
1 Wade Oval DriveCleveland, OH 44106
March 10, 2023
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- We seek to make volunteering accessible for working volunteers. We can always use help on weekends during the school year. Volunteer shifts are 2-4 hours and volunteers can sign up once a month on a weekend or twice a week, scheduling is flexible.
- The Museum is a fully vaccinated workplace and all staff, volunteers, interns, and contractors must provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination. We also require volunteers to read our handbook and sign paperwork and do background and fingerprinting.