Help People Get Gov IDs - Pass keys to voting, housing, jobs, healthcare
Please visit the new page to apply.
Help someone clear a hurdle to a better life by helping them get a government ID for voting, housing, employment, healthcare, and more. Our Virginia chapter of VoteRiders, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, is looking for volunteers in several key areas. Most work is done remotely, but we also need drivers with cars to meet clients at the DMV (usually eastern Fairfax County, Alexandria City offices) and to pick up clients’ signed paperwork from our partner organizations.
Whether it’s managing a client case from contact to ID issuance or being an assistant in arranging Uber rides for clients, making document pickups, DMV payment and application completion and signature runs, we have a role for you.
Must have basic computer skills (online form completion, updating our client case database). We reimburse for mileage and pay for client Uber rides and all fees for documents needed for IDs, as well as the ID itself. Training calls and guide documents provided. Reply to Virginia@voteriders.org.
171 PIER AVE 313, SANTA MONICA, CA 90405, US
VoteRiders is a non-partisan non-profit organization whose mission is to ensure that all citizens are able to exercise their right to vote. VoteRiders informs and helps citizens to secure their state-issued ID or driver license, as well as underlying documents, such as a birth certificate and social security card. VoteRiders collaborates with other organizations in the community that are providing services to people and who may need ID to access those services, such as healthcare, housing, employment and more.
VoteRiders was founded in 2012 after a number of states began enacting strict voter ID laws and there were no organizations providing voter ID assistance. VoteRiders built a robust website with information for all 50 states and DC, including details on what ID is required to vote both in-person and absentee. We have a toll-free number accessible via telephone, SMS, or chatbot on our website, staffed by trained volunteers who are experts on voter ID. These volunteers will help all voters determine if they have the correct ID to vote in their state, and if not, to provide assistance in securing an ID.
We help voters who need to obtain ID to vote in their state with services including:
* covering the cost of required documents (birth certificates, Social Security cards, name-change court orders, etc.) for low-income voters
* arranging transportation to their local DMV or SSA offices to secure their voter ID
* pro bono legal assistance with documentation; and * information about voter ID requirements, via our toll-free Voter ID Hotline (844-338-8743), online and in-person with on-the-ground teams
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
January 20, 2023
- Transportation Management
- Legal (General)
- Case Work / Management
- Social Work
- Must be at least 18
- Five hours a week for at least six months. Our whole team include volunteers who have stayed longer than this.
- We are in great need of those who can drive and coordinate uber rides but we have needs for those who work remotely as well. We train at local level and national group holds Zoom trainings periodically.