22 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: MIDTOWN YOUTH ACADEMY
Please visit the new page to apply.
22 people are interested
Grant Writer Job Description
Midtown Youth Academy’s mission is to promote success through education and wellness through boxing.
Midtown Youth Academy teaches District youth boxing to channel their energies into positive outlets such as physical fitness, education, spiritual and social awareness.
Midtown Youth Academy is looking for four dedicated grant writers to write grant proposals to support and further the Midtown mission. The grant writer will write coherent, organized, and compelling proposals. The grant writer will apply his/her knowledge of fundraising methods and plans to reach income goals. The grant writer will collaborate with team members in the organization to assist with other fundraising projects and develop relationships with key stakeholders.
The grant writer will work closely with the fundraiser to establish and achieve the organization’s financial goals.
To be successful as a grant writer, one will need to write well, have proficient knowledge of grant writing requirements and methods, and be committed to the mission of Midtown Youth Academy. Preferred applicants are deadline-driven team players with outstanding multitasking abilities.
All volunteers must pass the background check.
Grant Writer Responsibilities:
- Displaying adherence to the organization’s mission
- Writing, submitting, and managing grant proposals
- Developing relationships and collaborating with key stakeholders
- Maintaining proficient knowledge of the organization’s history and programs
- Assisting with the execution of the development department's strategy
- Identifying grant funding opportunities
- Furnishing prospective funders with supporting documents
- Sending funders newsletters and promoting on-site tours
- Collaborating with Director of Development to compile an annual report
- Maintaining records in hard copies and computer databases
Grant Writer Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in creative writing or related field preferred
- 2+ years of grant writing experience
- Proficient with measuring and reaching income goals
- Proficient with MS Office Word and Excel
- Excellent knowledge of fundraising information sources
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong people skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
About MIDTOWN YOUTH ACADEMY
5332 Georgia Ave, WASHINGTON, DC 20011, US
To promote success through education and wellness through boxing
The Midtown Youth Academy (MYA) was founded in 1977 by Eugene R. Hughes, a boxing trainer and drug abuse counselor, who was acutely aware of the conditions that often led youth of the District of Columbia to become involved in drug addiction and crime. Through MYA, Mr. Hughes recruited volunteers to work with neighborhood youth to provide boxing lessons as a therapeutic recreational outlet and an after-school tutoring program in test preparation, technology, arts, entrepreneurship, and other skills.
Mr. Hughes and MYA board members had been working on revitalizing the academy and its
programs for the past three years. While doing so, the members realized it was in the best
interest of the organization to leave its longtime home at 2206 14th St NW and continue the journey at 5332 Georgia Ave NW, a neighborhood where many underserved and often misled youth still reside.
For over 45 years, MYA has served as a safe haven for thousands of youth and neighbors. We aim to keep it that way through providing extensive measures to ensure safety for all who enter its doors. It was the dream of the late Mr. Hughes and still is the goal for MYA to live long and continue to stand strong as "A Balance in the Community".
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
February 15, 2024
- Background Check
- 2-3 hours/week