DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Spring 2023 Academic Intern
ORGANIZATION: Access Youth Academy
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Access Youth Academy is a nonprofit after-school program that serves low-income students in grades 5-12 across San Diego County. Students enrolled in our program are trained in the sport of squash and are offered a variety of academic enrichment opportunities, including tutoring, academic check-ins, college advising support and more. Our mission is to provide the necessary resources for students to apply and graduate from a 4-year college/university. We accomplish this by empowering youth to excel through our program combining squash training, academic support, community service and mentorship.
The Spring 2023 Academic Internship at Access Youth Academy is an opportunity for local college students or recent graduates to engage in experiential learning as they explore the nonprofit field. The goal of this program is to provide interns with real-world work experience, skill-building and mentorship to support them in their pursuit of a career in education and/or nonprofit work. Under the supervision of the Program Director, interns will work alongside the academic team to support students during independent study time and assist with other administrative tasks as needed.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Assist with student supervision during study time
- Attend staff meetings and program events as requested
- Attend and assist with prep for academic check ins
- Provide academic support and tutoring to students during programming
- Build positive relationships and strong rapport with students
- Plan and facilitate an icebreaker or group activity with programming students once a month
- Assist with prep and set up/clean up for programming events
- Support Academic Coordinator with recording attendance and daily points
- Update and organize student files
- Post updates and announcements to Google Classroom for squash and/or academics
- Must be 18 years or older
- Current college student or recent graduate (within last 6 months)
- Prior experience in education or working with youth (preferred - but not required)
- Fluent in Spanish (highly preferred)
COMPENSATION & HOURS
Interns will receive a stipend of $1800 and free membership to the Access Squash Club. This is a 10-week internship position. Interns should expect to work 12 hours per week between Monday and Friday. The exact schedule will be determined once a candidate has been selected.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume and cover letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org . Cover letters should include information about the applicant's professional/academic background and address the following questions:
- What makes you a good fit for our intern program?
- How does this internship align with your career interests? How will it support you in pursuing a career in the education or nonprofit field?
In your email, please the following in the subject line: "First & Last Name - Spring 2023 Academic Internship." Candidates who’ve submitted all application materials by deadline may be contacted for an interview. Please note that incomplete applications missing required materials will not be considered.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Access Youth Academy
704 Euclid Ave., San Diego, CA 92111, US
Access Youth Academy’s mission is to transform the lives of underserved youth through academic enrichment, health and wellness, social responsibility, and leadership development using the sport of squash as a catalyst. We believe every youth deserves equal access to educational and socio-economic opportunities for growth and advancement.
Access Youth Academy provides low income youth with a life changing opportunity. Our program teaches disadvantaged students to become proactive, contributing members of society through a holistic approach to youth development that includes individualized tutoring, squash coaching, and team building community service projects.
Through improved academics, increased community service, and program expansion, AYA will continue to provide marginalized youth populations in San Diego with the resources necessary to become productive citizens.
Make a difference by signing up to help today!
704 Euclid AvenueSan Diego, CA 92114
January 5, 2023
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Interns should expect to work 12 hours per week between Monday and Friday. The exact schedule will be determined once a candidate has been selected.