ORGANIZATION: National Park Service
Please visit the new page to apply.
Big Thicket National Preserve is looking for RV Volunteers to help staff our visitor center. The visitor center is located on FM 420, seven miles north of Kountze, Texas. Big Thicket National Preserve is spread out over several counties and our visitor center provides a central location for park visitors to learn about the ecosystems of the Big Thicket and what recreational opportunities exist in the park. Volunteers would assist with day-to-day operations of the visitor center.
The primary duties of the uniformed host position include but are not limited to: welcoming and orienting visitors, providing in-depth information on recreational sites, answering questions regarding park policies, issuing hunting and backcountry camping permits, and cashiering at our gift shop. Willingness to assist with maintenance and compliance is preferred. Customer service experience is preferred and a willingness to learn is required.
We will train volunteers how to accomplish the duties described above but volunteers must be willing to learn and able to perform tasks independently once trained. Volunteers who are familiar with the local area and our park are preferred, but volunteers who are willing to learn will also be accepted. Volunteers must be able to answer questions about the regulations in the preserve, the hiking, paddling, and hunting opportunities available, and the general ecology of the park.
-Working With People
In order to qualify for this position volunteers must meet Big Thicket VIP guidelines for housing:
· Volunteers must provide at least 30 hours of service per week for a minimum of six weeks but not exceed six months
· If a volunteer couple occupies park quarters, both individuals must contribute a minimum of 30 hours per week.
· If a volunteer couple occupies a park trailer site, then at least one of the individuals must contribute a minimum of 30 hours per week
· If there is no room or trailer site is available, volunteers may stay at an off-site campground or residence. Off-site VIP Housing options must be paid using a government credit card.
Time Commitment-At least 30 hours a week for a minimum of six weeks
· Uniform required - VIP shirt & hat will be provided. Khaki or jean pants supplied by the volunteer
· May operate electronic and standard office equipment
Start Date - 2022-09-01
End Date - 2023-09-01
Activities include: Computers;Conservation Education;Fish/Wildlife;General Assistance;Science;Tour Guide/Interpretation;Visitor Information
Hosts Housing Amenities: RV/Trailer Pads
About National Park Service
1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC 20240, US
The National Park Service preserves unimpaired the natural and cultural resources and values of the National Park System for the enjoyment, education, and inspiration of this and future generations. The Park Service cooperates with partners to extend the benefits of natural and cultural resource conservation and outdoor recreation throughout this country and the world.
The U.S. National Park Service, www.nps.gov, cares for special places saved by the American people so that all may experience our heritage. We care for more than 400 national parks and help communities preserve their historic places and open spaces.
6102 FM 420Kountze, TX 77625
September 18, 2022
- Environmental Education
- Administrative Support
- People 55+