22 people are interested
Let's Read Workshop Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Words Alive
Please visit the new page to apply.
22 people are interested
A Words Alive Let’s Read Workshop Volunteer supports our family literacy program, which we are committed to making highly accessible for the parents, families, and partners we serve. Let’s Read Workshop Volunteers meet children and families where they are with engaging programming and valuable resources that will set them on a path to become life-long learners.
Through our Let's Read program, we nurture book-sharing habits at home by celebrating the power of play as we explore books, talk, write, and create art anchored in a new story each week. Parents learn research-based strategies to make reading aloud interactive and joyful. This program is developmentally appropriate for kids ages 3-8 years old, delivered in English and Spanish and includes copies of the books for each child to keep.
A Let’s Read Workshop Volunteer is:
- A positive, playful person who can engage with, virtually or in-person, a room of adults and their children.
- Friendly, likes helping people and loves to learn.
- Well-organized and pays attention to the details. They stay focused and can think on their feet.
- Reliable and always on time, since consistency is key when helping families build new habits.
- Committed to eyes-wide-open focus on inclusion, diversity, equity, and accessibility.
- Deeply motivated by the power of reading!
A Let’s Read Workshop Volunteer support the Let’s Read Program Manager and Instructors in delivering a 6-week series of once a week 45-60 minute sessions, which include an interactive read aloud and accompanying craft. For workshops delivered in person, responsibilities include supporting craft projects, classroom communication, book and supply drop offs as needed. Virtual responsibilities may include but are not limited to monitoring the chat, language translation as needed/when possible, and book deliveries to families.
Let’s Read Workshop Volunteers are not required to lead sessions and may often work in partnership with the Program Manager and Instructor to deliver the programming. In fact, no previous classroom experience is necessary!
Training, curriculum, and all accompanying materials are provided by the Program Manager.
Note: We have a high need for Spanish-speaking Let’s Read Workshop Volunteers.
Fall 2022: September 15 th though early December 2022 (includes a 1/2-day volunteer training and supporting delivery of one 45-minute session per week for 6 weeks, days to be determined with partners/schools)
Required Paperwork and Training:
- Volunteers will need to submit a completed application
- Volunteers must be 18 years or older
- Attend a 1-hour volunteer orientation for all Words Alive volunteers
- Complete a background check
- Complete a Child Abuse mandated reporter training
- Attend a 2-hour training specific to the Let’s Read Family Literacy Program
- *(In-person commitment) COVID requirements: provide proof of full vaccination, complete COVID waiver, wear masks during in-person sessions.
- *(In-person commitment) Submit a negative TB test.
To Get Started: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 858-274-9673 to sign up for the next orientation and training.
About Words Alive
770 Park Blvd., SAN DIEGO, CA 92109, US
The mission of Words Alive is to open opportunities for life success by inspiring a commitment to reading.
What Do Our Volunteers Say About Words Alive?
"Of all the places I have volunteered over the years, I have never felt as valued as with Words! [Words Alive] is so inventive in coming up with opportunities for all ages to intersect with reading and the impact it can have on their lives. I'm always delighted with the many programs that have been created and am so happy to be part of Words Alive!" - Words Alive Read Aloud/Adolescent Book Group/Outreach Volunteer
Multiple locations San Diego, CA 92109
January 16, 2024
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading / Writing
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training