4 people are interested
Medical and Shopping Escort Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Society of Sharing: InnerCity Volunteers
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
We are seeking friendly, patient, and caring individuals to accompany isolated seniors to their medical appointments or to grocery shop on their behalf
Many seniors have difficulty going to their medical appointments and going grocery shopping by themselves. Due to physical frailty and disability, vision or hearing impairment, and cognitive problems, our seniors are forced to cancel their medical appointments and unable to access food, which lead to rapid decline in health and quality of life.
We need volunteers like you to escort seniors to and from their medical appointments and/or grocery-shop on their behalf. You do not need your own vehicle to participate. You must be willing to commit 3 to 4 hours per escort for once a week. This program runs Monday to Friday, from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm and you may perform the service on days and times at which you are available. You will be escorting seniors via walking, public transportation, Wheel Trans, or taxi service while ensuring their safety and security. TTC tokens will be reimbursable.
What you bring to the team:
- Sensitivity to the needs and challenges faced by older adults.
- Patient and compassionate with a desire to help older adults living in low-income and isolated.
- Ability to work with people in a professional, empathetic manner.
- Effective verbal and listening communication skills.
- Maintain confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to connect with people from diverse backgrounds and build strong working relationships.
Applicants must be 18 years old or older and must complete the following:
- Submit a volunteer application form (the form will be sent via email);
- Phone screening (10-minute call);
- Interview (Virtual)
- Reference background check (2 references needed)
- Vulnerable Sector Screening (Police check)
- Mandatory Training
Due to COVID-19, Society of Sharing will be providing the volunteers with necessary PPEs (masks, gloves and sanitizers). All volunteers are required to strictly follow the agency’s COVID-19 protocols. New volunteers will be required proof that they have received an approved course of vaccination against COVID-19 at least 14 days prior to commencing volunteering.
Created in 1981, The Society of Sharing is an incorporated, charitable, non-profit organization that provides free services to isolated, lonely and frail seniors. All our programs are designed to reduce social isolation, promote social connection, and improve the well-being of housebound clients. We recruit and train volunteers who are willing to spend time with isolated seniors and to provide companionship through a weekly visit in their homes or accompany them to their medical appointments or take them to grocery shopping, or by calling them once a week to provide reassurance.
About Society of Sharing: InnerCity Volunteers
c/o Monsignor Fraser College Isabella North Campus, 25 Linden Street, Room 208, Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1V5, CA
To improve the lives of isolated seniors in our community by connecting them with skilled volunteers who provide companionship and social support.
Society of Sharing: Inner-City Volunteers is a non-profit organization that improves quality of life, and reduces isolation and vulnerability among seniors and adults with physical disabilities, in the downtown Toronto community. We achieve this by providing friendly visiting programs, medical and shopping escort, telephone reassurance and group socialization with the support of our volunteers.
c/o Monsignor Fraser College Isabella North Campus25 Linden Street, Room 208Toronto, Ontario Canada
August 4, 2022
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Must be willing to volunteer for at least 6 months and to commit to escort seniors at least once a week between 3 and 4 hours per escort. Must have availability on weekdays between 9am and 5pm.