DONATE TO THIS
36 people are interested
Telephone Reassurance Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Circle of Care, St. Louis
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
36 people are interested
The Telephone Reassurance Program is a Circle of Care, St. Louis initiative that provides a friendly telephone call from a volunteer to older adults and adults with disabilities who are living alone and/or homebound. The goal of the program is to eliminate or reduce some of the concerns facing homebound individuals: isolation, loneliness, depression, anxiety, and cognitive decline. Many older adults want to remain independent and age in place in their own homes; however because they are isolated or homebound, meaningful relationships are difficult to come by. Telephone reassurance volunteers will reach out by phone weekly for one hour to these individuals to offer friendly conversations and to offer a connection beyond their front door.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Patient, caring, and compassionate; Be able to establish a good rapport with clients.
- Experience working with frail, elderly, and/or cognitively impaired seniors (an asset).
- Experience working with persons with dementia (an asset).
- Reliable, punctual, and responsible when keeping appointments and calling clients.
- Good listening, interpersonal and communication skills.
- An ability to accept people as they are and a sincere desire to assist frail, elderly, and/or cognitively impaired seniors.
- A sense of humor and sensitivity to cultural, linguistic, and religious diversity.
- Respect confidentiality at all times.
- Must complete all required volunteer orientation and training sessions.
The following documentation is a mandatory requirement for this position:
- Background Screening through Family Care Safety Registry
- Certificate of completion of dementia and elderly abuse
- Call the client in their home or skilled nursing facility; minimum sixty minutes weekly call at a mutually agreed upon time (between Mon-Sun, 9 am - 7.00 pm).
- Build a supportive relationship through conversation and discussion.
- Actively engage the client in topics of interest including reminiscing about past experiences
- Provide a brief monthly progress report to the Development Associate.
- Participate in the evaluation of the program.
- Work towards the goals for the client established by their Case Manager.
- Report issues, concerns, and all incidents to Circle of Care, St. Louis staff.
- Notify Circle of Care, St. Louis of any extended absences.
- Adhere to the vision, mission, and guiding values of the organization and the Caring Connection program.
- Represent Circle of Care, St. Louis in a professional manner at all times.
- Be committed to the agency and the agreed-upon hours.
- Assist with all other duties as assigned.
- Initial orientation to the organization and program.
- On-the-job training by experienced staff and volunteer
- The Development Associate provides ongoing support and is available to answer questions and explain policies.
- No counseling, as this is not a therapeutic relationship.
- No in-home visits
- No mediation or advocacy for personal or family problems.
- Calls are not permitted outside of the assigned hours of service.
- Social support, platonic relationships only.
4 More opportunities with Circle of Care, St. Louis
About Circle of Care, St. Louis
423 Chez Paree, Hazelwood, MO 63042, US
Our mission is to provide unparalleled public health care services while respecting the unique needs of our culturally diverse clientele through stewardship, honor-driven values, and a genuine desire to serve. We are committed to partnering with families, caregivers, and community entities that embrace the philosophy and mission to reduce social, economic, and health disparities.
Circle of Care, St. Louis is a home and community-based nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting the independence of seniors and adults with disabilities in their homes. We do this important work by providing in-home care, case management, long-term care transition services, essential needs support, and mental and physical wellness evidence-based programs.
423 Chez Paree DriveHazelwood, MO 63042
March 12, 2023
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteers must agree to a three-month commitment to telephone client(s) at home at a pre-determined time for one hour a week.