Lawn Care Specialist
ORGANIZATION: Cleveland Botanical Garden
Please visit the new page to apply.
Cleveland Botanical Garden (CBG) is a year-round, urban public Garden with 10 acres featuring eleven permanent display gardens, the Eleanor Armstrong Smith Glasshouse, and changing exhibits. The Botanical Garden is a place where a wide variety of living collections are cultivated for scientific, educational, and ornamental purposes.
Assist the horticulture staff with weekly lawn maintenance at Cleveland Botanical Garden.
- Support staff and serve as a positive representative of Holden Forests & Gardens
- Follow supervisor instructions to complete tasks
- Cut small lawn areas using self-propelled mower
- Trim lawn and bed edges using string trimmer
- Backpack blow sidewalks
- Spot weed formal lawns
- Water newly seeded/sodded areas
- Ensure all equipment is cleaned and put away in proper location
- Maintain the safety of people, plants, and animals
- Providing information, direction, and guidance to guests; encourage appropriate guest use of the grounds
- Attend trainings, orientations, or clinics as required
- Additional related tasks as needed
- Previous lawn care experience required
- Physical ability necessary to complete tasks which may involve bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, lifting/carrying up to 25 pounds, using basic tools, etc. for 2-3 hours
- Enjoy working outside in various weather conditions
- Ability to listen to and follow supervisor instructions
- Willingness to learn information and procedures relevant to the position
- Demonstrate reliability, punctuality, and ability to adapt if needed
- Demonstrate respect for the diversity of people and nature
- Ability to represent Holden Forests & Gardens in a positive, safe, and professional manner with other staff, volunteers and visitors
About Cleveland Botanical Garden
11030 East Boulevard, Cleveland, OH 44106, US
Holden Forests & Gardens connects people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities.
Holden Forests & Gardens Cleveland Botanical Garden campus is a not-for-profit organization established to promote the knowledge and appreciation of horticulture and gardening. The Cleveland Botanical Garden is committed to: - Providing information, education and training in horticulture, gardening, botany, floral arts, landscape design and horticultural therapy. - Offering to the public, for its use and enjoyment, collections of plants, display gardens, a horticultural library and facilities for meetings, programs and special events. - Promoting community interest and involvement in the beautification of the landscape and conservation of the environment.
11030 East BoulevardCleveland Botanical GardenCleveland, OH 44106
May 3, 2022
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Outdoor shifts vary but typically run 2 hours from April through early November. Lawn care is done on Thursday and/or Friday mornings before the grounds are open to visitors. Prefer a 6-month commitment minimum; minimum of two shifts per month.
- New volunteers need to complete online orientation, application and interview with staff. Volunteers must be vaccinated for COVID-19.