Bilingual Media Relations Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: AMERICAN NATIONAL RED CROSS
Please visit the new page to apply.
Red Cross Media Relations volunteers are part of a professional volunteer team that develops and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms. This role requires cultural competency, knowledge of the Red Cross, and a willingness to be the face of the Red Cross in the community.
- Be on call during shifts to vet and assess media inquires, share information on smaller incidents, and notify leadership of need to scale up response.
- Serve as media spokesperson for local news outlets in person, over the phone or through Zoom/Teams interviews.
- Work with chapter and regional leadership to write and pitch local stories to local media.
- Showcase Red Cross services and programs through earned media outreach at events, training, interviews, etc.
- Write and distribute media advisories and press releases.
- Serve as a lead spokesperson for a signature home fire preparedness campaign that will make our neighborhoods and neighbors safer.
- Maintain media log of queries, interviews and news stories.
- Create and maintain media lists.
- Protect the reputation of the Red Cross by identifying and assessing potential for harm to Red Cross brand, misinformation or information gaps. Work with communications management to develop a strategic approach
- Support Red Cross events by engaging communities to learn about and join Red Cross activities
- Execute activities in Spanish
- Translate English written cultivation, solicitation and stewardship materials into Spanish
- Media relations education and/or experience
- Background in Red Cross response (training provided), branding & messaging
- Submission of a portfolio of news releases, video clips of on-camera work or equivalent work samples
- Fluently bilingual in Spanish and English
- Experience working with Latino or Spanish speaking populations, required
- Proficient in Spanish writing, editing and speaking
- Experience translating English language materials into Spanish, required
About AMERICAN NATIONAL RED CROSS
2600 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53233, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Whether helping one displaced family or thousands, providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran, or teaching others how to respond in emergencies, it’s through the efforts of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
The American Red Cross, through its strong network of volunteers, donors and partners, is always there in times of need. We aspire to turn compassion into action so that...
...all people affected by disaster across the country and around the world receive care, shelter and hope;
...our communities are ready and prepared for disasters;
...everyone in our country has access to safe, lifesaving blood and blood products;
...all members of our armed services and their families find support and comfort whenever needed; and
...in an emergency, there are always trained individuals nearby, ready to use their Red Cross skills to save lives.
Multiple locations Milwaukee, WI 53233
March 11, 2022
- Public Relations
- Social Media / Blogging
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible. Serve on-call one-week every third month; this can be a combination of day, nights and weekends. During disasters - time requirements will increase.