DONATE TO THIS
27 people are interested
Instructor/coach in technology classes
ORGANIZATION: RALEIGH SENIORTECHED LEARNING CENTER INC
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
27 people are interested
Become a new volunteer in Raleigh SrTechEd (RSTE) as an instructor and/or a coach. An instructor would prepare class handouts and teach classes. A coach would primarily help students at our in-person help sessions. We currently teach classes on computers, hand-held devices, Internet and related subjects, as well as other topics of interest, especially for seniors.
We are looking for people who could bring fresh ideas for subjects that will help seniors. These subjects could leverage your life experiences like career and hobbies, and could include topics such as:
- Navigating the medical world: telemedicine (virtual visits with health providers), online health resources, like MyChart, WebMD, etc.
- Saving money: Online shopping, using coupons, Craig’s List, Angi, eBay, Amazon, affordable home Internet
- Social media: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, etc.
- Artificial intelligence: What is it and how will it affect me?
- Managing your finances: online banking and bill paying, budget management
- Trip planning and transportation: tours, cruises, Uber, Lyft, renting cars and buying airline tickets online
- eBooks and eReaders: Such as Kindle, eReader vs. tablet computer
- Buying groceries and restaurant food online
- Cutting the cord: streaming (with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc.), smart TVs
- Messaging: such as iMessage, Google Chat, WhatsApp
We teach in classrooms located in East, Central and North Raleigh and are expanding to senior living areas around the Raleigh area. Class and help sessions are held during the day, M-F in the mornings or afternoons.
Our website: www.raleighseniorteched.org
2 More opportunities with RALEIGH SENIORTECHED LEARNING CENTER INC
About RALEIGH SENIORTECHED LEARNING CENTER INC
6300 CREEDMOOR RD STE 170 # 224, RALEIGH, NC 27612, US
Raleigh Senior TechEd is an all-volunteer organization dedicated to educating adults on computer technology, including tablets and smartphones. We aim to build confidence in new users and to enhance the skills of more experienced users. We offer small group classes on a variety of subjects, ranging from the very basics to more advanced topics. We will teach you to use your devices for games, email, music, and to do research into topics that interest you.
We were chartered in 1996 as a non-profit corporation, originally named "Raleigh SeniorNet Learning Center". We also started working with the City of Raleigh Parks and Recreation Dept., preparing to move into our new City of Raleigh Senior Center and become the technology training resource for seniors in the Raleigh area.
In February 2012, we separated from the national organization and changed our name to Raleigh Senior TechEd. That summer we moved into the brand new Raleigh Parks and Recreation Five Points Center for Active Adults and started classes there in September and at the Anne Gordon Center for Active Adults shortly thereafter. In December 2017, the City of Raleigh transferred the responsibility for technology education from volunteers to city employees.
Raleigh Senior TechEd current teaches in several locations including central, east and north Raleigh. We also teach on Zoom.
In 2021 we celebrated our 25th anniversary. Since our beginning we have:
- Averaged approximately 40 volunteers per year (instructors, tutors and support staff).
- Offered nearly 3200 courses.
- Taught more than 4700 students (many taking several courses).
- Averaged nearly 3800 student hours per year.
- Averaged almost 4800 volunteer hours per year.
Multiple locationsRaleighRaleigh, NC 27612
May 15, 2023
- Basic Computer Skills
- Google Apps
- Macintosh Platform
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Security / Network Administration
- PC Platform
- People 55+
- Varies depending upon how much you want to teach or coach. Classes usually run about 1-2 hours and are taught during the day. Preparation work is required by instructors for any materials distributed to students (handouts, manuals, etc.).
- Interest in helping people. Most of our students are seniors.