9 people are interested
Become an English Tutor in your own Community (in-person or online)
ORGANIZATION: Volunteer English Program In Chester County
Please visit the new page to apply.
9 people are interested
Change someone’s life and see how it changes yours!
VEP trains and supports volunteers to offer personalized English tutoring to immigrants in Chester County. We strive to offer a high level of service and support to tutors and students. Key features of our program include:
- in-depth training sessions led by our expert staff
- tutors and students meet at mutually convenient times (two 90 minutes sessions each week)
- meetings are held at a mutually convenient location (local library, cafe, etc.) or using an online platform (Zoom, etc.)
- textbooks and resources are provided, and VEP professional staff provide ongoing support
- opportunities for professional development and connection with other tutors offered throughout the year
Prior teaching experience or knowledge of other languages is not required. Life experience, time, and compassion for helping others is a plus! We currently have a Wait List of students hoping to be matched with a tutor.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Volunteer English Program In Chester County
790 East Market St., Suite 215, West Chester, PA 19382, US
The Volunteer English Program connects volunteers with adult English language learners to provide one-to-one tutoring and cultural enrichment that empowers immigrants to be successful.
Since 1986, VEP has helped thousands of Chester County’s most vulnerable newcomers learn English and achieve U.S. citizenship. In its first years, the program saw modest beginnings and served fewer than a dozen students in the basement of the church. Today, VEP depends on approximately 300 passionate and dedicated volunteers who deliver free one-to-one English language instruction to meet the urgent and specific needs of adult immigrants and refugees in Chester County. In all of our work and interactions, we seek to be welcoming, compassionate, understanding, and inspired. These guiding principles shape our work.
790 East Market St., Suite 215West Chester, PA 19382
December 1, 2022
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 3 hours a week for a minimum of 1 year
- References and background checks will be conducted before being matched with a student.