Communications & Development Internship (Winter 2021/Spring 2022)
About Alliance for Smiles
Alliance for Smiles is a registered 501c3 nonprofit with a mission to forever improve the lives of children and communities impacted by cleft by providing free, comprehensive treatment while building local capacity for long-term care.
It's little known that children born with cleft conditions in many countries face tremendous physical, emotional, and social challenges. Approximately one in ten of them are killed by their own families or communities, as it is often considered a curse or spiritual punishment. Those who survive have difficulty breastfeeding, are prone to other serious medical conditions, and are often shunned, bullied, abused, or abandoned throughout their lives.
The solution is a relatively quick surgery (often just over an hour) after which the children’s lives and opportunities are transformed forever. Unfortunately, most do not live in areas where trained surgeons are available, and if they do, the surgeries are often unaffordable.
That’s where Alliance for Smiles (AfS) comes in, undertaking medical missions to offer free surgeries for children impacted by cleft lip and palate in underserved regions of the world, training the medical teams that serve them, and establishing Treatment Centers to provide long-term, sustainable care for these patients.
AfS and its medical missions are powered by a lean team & board, along with almost one thousand volunteers, including both medical and non-medical volunteers. We’d love for you to join us in this mission!Here's a video about what we do: https://www.allianceforsmiles.org/transforming-lives-one-smile-at-a-time/
About the role(s)
Change lives forever with Alliance for Smiles! At AfS, we are passionate about transforming the course of children’s lives, one smile at a time. We’ve provided surgeries for over 7,000 children to date, and none of that would’ve been possible without the incredible support of some amazing volunteers. Join us in this mission!
Communications & Development: Are you a creative and powerful storyteller with words and/or visuals? Do you love helping build a brand and strategizing about the best ways to get the word out about issues that you care about? Are you skilled at utilizing social media, writing & copy-editing, and/or capturing & editing fantastic video content? Want to try your hand at building fundraising campaigns, helping to grow the donor base, throwing great events, and finding grants to help change lives?
If you said "yes" to even a fraction of those questions, we’d love to connect with you to see if you can help us with our social media outreach, campaigns, events and more.
Internship candidates should:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age
- Be fluent in English; additional languages are a huge bonus, as we partner with communities around the world
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 10 hours per week for at least 3 months
- Have skills and experience relevant to the role
- Have cross-cultural awareness and interests
- Be empathetic, socially aware, and values driven
- Be open-minded, flexible, and ready to have fun with a small, friendly, and high impact team
About the benefits
An internship with AfS will give you hands-on learning with a lean, resourceful team of dedicated, friendly staff, who are committed to changing and saving children’s lives who have been impacted by cleft conditions.
While this role is an unpaid internship, there are still some great benefits for our volunteers. You will:
- Gain experience working with an established and meaningful international 501c3 nonprofit
- Work with a manager/mentor to undertake an/or design projects that help you hone the personal and professional skills you want to develop to continue your career development
- Be part of a large community of people committed to an inspiring mission, and join the many social events and networks that come with it
- References for successful candidates; we love to help our interns create & showcase projects that will help them further their career goals and learn the skills they need to succeed
Learn more at www.allianceforsmiles.org . If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org . Feel free to call (415) 647-4881 with any questions and thank you for considering a role with us!
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of AfS culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our life-changing mission!
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Alliance for Smiles
2565 THIRD ST, Suite 237, SAN FRANCISCO, CA 94107, US
Alliance for Smiles is a nonprofit organization committed to creating new smiles for children suffering from untreated cleft lip and cleft palate anomalies. Our dedicated teams of volunteers provide comprehensive treatment including free reconstructive surgery for these often neglected children in underserved areas of the world.
Alliance for Smiles (AfS) was founded in October of 2004 by five members of the Rotary Club of San Francisco who had been involved for ten years previously with cleft lip and palate reconstructive surgery. The mission of Alliance for Smiles (AfS) is to repair children’s broken smiles by providing free comprehensive treatment for cleft lip and palate anomalies in under-served areas of the world.
Alliance for Smiles functions as an international service project with the following goals:
- To provide free reconstructive surgery and dental treatment to children with cleft lip and palate anomalies in underserved areas of the world.
- To establish comprehensive cleft treatment centers in collaboration with local professionals and inspire them to support free interdisciplinary treatment programs.
- To foster an awareness of the necessity to provide timely comprehensive care for all cleft lip and palate anomalies.
- To develop and implement programs to identify causes and support preventive measures to reduce the incidence of cleft lip and palate.
- To create international understanding and goodwill by building bridges of friendship among all people.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
November 24, 2021
- Event Planning / Management
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Grant Writing / Research
- Must be at least 18
- Most of our internships are part to full time (approx. 10- 40 hours/week) depending on availability, and a minimum three month commitment is preferred. Scheduling is flexible.