Words Alive Adolescent Book Group Facilitator
Words Alive Adolescent Book Group (ABG) Job Description
Words Alive's Adolescent Book Group brings books alive for teenagers facing extraordinary circumstances such as homelessness, violence, teen pregnancy and impact by the justice system. Through engaging projects, writing workshops and discussion sessions, Adolescent Book Group participants enhance their critical thinking skills, self-esteem and ability to express themselves. Words Alive's commitment to reading diverse and relevant texts provides an avenue for program participants to connect books to themselves and the world while changing the story of their life.
Volunteer Position Title: ABG Facilitator/Volunteer
The ABG program facilitator leads the monthly book group discussions with teens using the approved Words Alive discussion guides and enrichment materials to ensure that program goals are met.
- Submit Volunteer Application
- Attend Volunteer Orientation
- Computer literate and able to correspond with members electronically
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well and collaborate with others
- Accountable, dependable and organized
- Proof of negative tuberculosis test (TB) results
- Submits background check
- Completion of facilitation training
- COVID requirements: provide proof of vaccination card, complete COVID waiver, wears a mask during in-person sessions.
- Read designated books prior to attending the monthly discussion group.
- Attend all ABG monthly (or every six-week) book discussion groups.
- Using Words Alive discussion questions, facilitate the 60 or 90-minute book group discussions each month (or every six-weeks)
- Prepare enrichment materials in advance of discussions.
- Encourage open communication among volunteers and program participants.
- Support an environment where all program participants feel engaged and safe.
- Uses inclusive language
- Attend all Words Alive sponsored in-service trainings, workshops, and appreciation events.
- Communicate regularly with site manager.
- Work with site manager to identify a substitute(s) facilitator(s) in case of absence.
- Contact site manager ahead of time if unable to facilitate book group discussion and work together to find a replacement facilitator.
- Submit evaluation forms and timesheets to administrative office each month by the stated deadline.
Commitment: September-June, 2-5 hours per month
Reports to: Teen Services Program Manager and Site Manager
About Words Alive
5111 Santa Fe St. Suite 219, SAN DIEGO, CA 92109, US
The mission of Words Alive is to open opportunities for life success by inspiring a commitment to reading.
What Do Our Volunteers Say About Words Alive?
"Of all the places I have volunteered over the years, I have never felt as valued as with Words! [Words Alive] is so inventive in coming up with opportunities for all ages to intersect with reading and the impact it can have on their lives. I'm always delighted with the many programs that have been created and am so happy to be part of Words Alive!" - Words Alive Read Aloud/Adolescent Book Group/Outreach Volunteer
Multiple locations San Diego, CA 92109
November 24, 2021
- Youth Services
- Critical Thinking
- Reading Comprehension
- Relationship Building
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 2-5 hours per month
- Adhere to COVID protocols and other health safety measures.