Seeking Structural Engineer for SAP2000 Design of Sustainable City Center
One Community is an all-volunteer nonprofit sustainability think tank. We're seeking a Structural Engineer (P.E. or S.E.)* for this Open Source City Center structure:
*Licensing in our state is not required for these preliminary designs, the final stamped version will come later.
You should have experience with SAP2000 analysis on low-rise residential/commercial buildings and designing the corresponding steel lateral force resistance system (LFRS). Your task with us will involve making loading assumptions based on ASCE 7-10 and choosing a LFRS type that is both robust and economical for our structure.
- 2+ years commercial design experience please*
- AutoCAD experience and your own copy of the software
- SAP2000 experience and your own copy of the software
- Must be available for 10+ volunteer hours a week
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working in a virtual environment/from home using GoogleDocs and DropBox for collaboration
- Experience with wood products (TJI, Glulam Beams) and AISC steel shape is helpful but not required.
- Access to and knowledge of ASCE 7-10 minimum design loads for buildings is also a plus.
- Licensing in our state is not necessary, this is not for a final stamped review, that will come later and be done by someone else
WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT
The Duplicable City Center is an open source dining hall and recreation hub designed to service 200+ people and function as the center of eco-humanitarian villages to be built globally. This structure will be the center of construction that will bring permanent solutions to places around the world that need them most. Because they are to be build around the world, we want these structures to be as safe as possible and are developing reports sharing our complete design process and criteria so they can be easily and appropriately modified for other locations.
Most of the preparation of the AutoCAD file for use with SAP 2000 has already been done but final loading analysis needs to be completed:
- This link shares the specifics of what is done already and what remains to be completed: https://www.tinyurl.com/dcc-engineering
- Must be able to be constructed without heavy machinery
- Must include a report so any other engineer can understand how and why we came to the conclusions we did
- Must include an organized file set so someone else wanting to replicate and/or check your work can download those files and the tutorial and use them for this purpose or to modify them for a different location with different design criteria
WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN DONE
- Complete design that meets engineering code requirements for California
- Complete design report that explains all steps and decisions made to arrive at your conclusion
- Complete, organized, and appropriately referenced file set to go with the tutorial
HOW TO APPLY
To apply and learn more about our organization and how we promote our volunteers, please visit our online application page here:
Alternatively, you are also welcome to send your resume and work samples directly to our Executive Director who is doing the interviewing and hiring for this position: email@example.com
About One Community
Virtual Opportunity, San Gabriel, CA 91775, US
One Community’s non-profit mission is transformational global change through designing, modeling, and open sourcing sustainably holistic, virally-self-replicating, Highest Good of All solutions. These solutions are founded on comprehensive and modifiable village/city models which can be duplicated globally. Duplication can be accomplished both modularly and/or as complete teacher/demonstration hubs and include sustainable solutions for infrastructure, food, education, economics, fulfilled living, and more.
Our vision is facilitating the creation of a new age of cooperation, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and increased happiness for humanity. We do this by demonstrating what’s possible, open sourcing and free-sharing the blueprints, and making modular or total duplication easy enough, affordable enough, and attractive enough, so that
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
December 3, 2021
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- 10+ hrs a week
- Software needed: SAP2000, AutoCAD