Seeking Structural Engineer for Open Source LEED Straw Bale School Structure
One Community is an all-volunteer nonprofit sustainability think tank. We're seeking a Structural Engineer (P.E. or S.E.)* to help us finish the structural engineering for an open source sustainable straw-bale-construction (wood frame) sustainable classroom. We'd say 50% of the work for this is already complete.
- 2+ years design experience please*
- AutoCAD experience and your own copy of the software
- Must be available for 10+ volunteer hours a week
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working in a virtual environment (from home) using GoogleDocs and DropBox for collaboration
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT
The Ultimate Classroom is the DIY-replicable straw bale construction classroom we will be using during development of phases 1 and 2 of our global sustainability project. It will be used as recreation and adult-education space when not being used as an early-education classroom. We want a structure that is energy efficient and designed to meet California and Utah codes and LEED Platinum standards.
- Must be energy efficient
- Must be fairly easy to construct
- Should be constructed from wood framed straw bale walls
- Should fit the existing floor plan designed in AutoCAD and SketchUp 3D
WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN DONE
- Complete design that meets engineering code requirements for California and Utah
- Complete design report that explains all steps and decisions made to arrive at your conclusion
- Complete, organized, and appropriately referenced file set to go with the tutorial
HOW TO APPLY
To apply and learn more about our organization and how we promote our volunteers, please visit our online application page here:
Alternatively, you are also welcome to send your resume and work samples directly to our Executive Director who is doing the interviewing and hiring for this position: firstname.lastname@example.org
About One Community
Virtual Opportunity, San Gabriel, CA 91775, US
One Community’s non-profit mission is transformational global change through designing, modeling, and open sourcing sustainably holistic, virally-self-replicating, Highest Good of All solutions. These solutions are founded on comprehensive and modifiable village/city models which can be duplicated globally. Duplication can be accomplished both modularly and/or as complete teacher/demonstration hubs and include sustainable solutions for infrastructure, food, education, economics, fulfilled living, and more.
Our vision is facilitating the creation of a new age of cooperation, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and increased happiness for humanity. We do this by demonstrating what’s possible, open sourcing and free-sharing the blueprints, and making modular or total duplication easy enough, affordable enough, and attractive enough, so that
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
December 3, 2021
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Minimum 10 hours a week to volunteer
- Must have your own copy of AutoCAD