Arena & Horse Care Intern - Hands of Promise Campus
Who You Are: You are passionate and have a heart for kids and animals, especially horses. You are compassionate about equine care. You are comfortable in building relationships through activities, and demonstrations.As an intern, you will enjoy a service opportunity where Relationships are the foundation, where we are all Committed to the same mission, where Growth is always possible, where we are all treated with and show Compassion, where trust guides us to Transparency and above all, where Joy sustains us.
What You Will Do: Arena & Horse Care Intern will:
- Feed & water horses according to schedule. This can include manual labor as required - stacking hay.
- Turn horses out to pasture.
- Assist with routine animal care, observe horses/livestock for soundness or general health.
- Ensure clean and safe stalls. This can include manual labor as required - hauling manure.
- Be task oriented
- Enthusiasm and being a team player is a plus.
- Some horse/livestock experience is a plus
Arena & Horse Care Intern will learn:
- Proper care of horses
- Basic daily care
- Special feed supplements and medications
- Scheduling and observation of contracted service providers (vet, farrier, etc.)
- Indications of potential illness or injury
- Use and maintenance of equipment
- Role of horses in equine assisted psychotherapy
- Selection of appropriate horses for therapy sessions
- Horse use tracking & rest schedules
- Criteria for selecting horses for IYR herd
- Management of arena operations
Why Unite With Us: The Idaho Youth Ranch is one of the oldest non-profit agencies in the state of Idaho. Interns help move our mission forward. We unite for Idaho’s youth by providing accessible programs and services that nurture hope, healing and resilience.
- Weekly (Monday - Friday, between 8am and 5pm).
- 2-4 hour shifts
- 1-5x a week (depending on intern’s schedule)
- Can accommodate Summer, Fall or Spring internships.
How: In order to intern for this opportunity, you will need to:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Submit application
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Complete interview
- Comply with all Idaho Youth Ranch Volunteer Policies and Procedures
About Idaho Youth Ranch
5465 W. Irving St, Boise, ID 83706, US
The Idaho Youth Ranch creates promising futures through courageous transformations.
Every child is born full of promise, and every child deserves a promising future.
The Idaho Youth Ranch has been helping good kids on a dangerous path find promising futures for more than 60 years, with youth programs and services through the state.
We offer emergency shelter, residential care, substance abuse treatment, job readiness training, alternative education, adoption services, family counseling, and more for at-risk kids and their struggling parents and families.
No matter what a child is up against, the Idaho Youth Ranch can help.
Every kid who comes to us faces their own unique challenges and issues. So we adapt our services to meet their needs, instead of the other way around. The Idaho Youth Ranch approach is to intervene early, when our help can do the most good; treat the whole child, not just one symptom; and finish the job by sticking with each kid as long as they need us.
Our work would not be possible without generous donations from people like you.
Thanks to our donors and our statewide network of 29 thrift stores, we can help kids and families effectively and immediately even if they can’t afford the entire cost of care.
Whenever you make a cash donation, shop at one of our stores, or donate items we can sell, you become part of our promise to Idaho’s kids. Thank you!
28371 El Paso RdCaldwell, ID 83607
November 8, 2021
- Animal Care / Handling
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training