14 people are interested
14 people are interested
Mission of New Women New Yorkers & LEAD program:
New Women New Yorkers provides workforce development and other programs to empower immigrant women to obtain meaningful employment or pursue higher education in NYC, and offers a safe, inclusive space where immigrant women can build community and share their stories. LEAD, our flagship workforce development program, begins with a 10-week series of job readiness workshops. In direct complement to our workshop series, LEAD graduates and new participants also participate in group practice and networking sessions in partnership with companies and professionals from a range of industries, and receive individual support through resume review, interview prep, and career counseling. For more information, please visit our website and blog at www.nywomenimmigrants.org.
Overview of role of resume builder
One of the most critical tools in finding a job in the US is the resume. For a newly arrived immigrant, crafting a resume can be an intimidating process. Resume Builders use their knowledge and skills to help participants build this foundational document and improve their chance of success in entering the workforce.
Through Resume Building, we want our participants to not only have a strong 1-page resume, but to gain the "know-how" so they can tailor their resume according to their growing and changing professional development goals even after they graduate from our LEAD program. Accomplished via a one-on-one virtual meeting and involved editing, participants walk away from this process with a ready-to-use resume. Your time together helps participants understand how to develop a strong, tailored resume and how to articulate their professional goals.
Desired skills and experience
● Fluent in English, with strong writing skills.
● Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Google Docs.
● Ability to see the big picture, and to concentrate on what is important.
● Ability to work independently, and strong time management skills.
● Experience in reviewing resumes, especially resumes of non-native English speakers, is
preferred, but not required.
● Passion and understanding of NWNY’s mission and goals.
● A positive, flexible, and ambitious attitude!
Location & time commitment
● Resume Building takes place remotely. Starting with a 1-hour one-on-one virtual meeting, Resume Builders ask clarifying questions to understand the participant’s work experience and goals and to aid their edits of the participant’s resume. After this virtual meeting, Resume Builders directly edit the participant’s resume providing feedback and explaining their edits using the Comments function of either Microsoft Word or Google Docs.
● The volunteer may review between 1 to 5 resumes every month, depending on availability. S/he should review every resume within two weeks of receiving it.
● Reading of our Resume Building Guidebook and attendance to a 2-hour orientation video call are required.
This is a volunteer position, without compensation.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About New Women New Yorkers Inc.
c/o Centre for Social Innovation, 601 W 26th Street, Suite 325, NEW YORK, NY 10001, US
New Women New Yorkers provides workforce development and other programs to empower immigrant women to obtain meaningful employment or pursue higher education in NYC, and offers a safe, inclusive space where immigrant women can build community and share their stories. Core values - Inclusion & diversity - Equality of opportunities - Freedom to choose professional path
The American Dream asserts hard work equals success. The truth is that this American Dream is unreachable for many immigrants, and for many immigrant women especially. Regardless of where they are from and their education level, women are more likely to be out of the workforce or underemployed. This is particularly the case for immigrant women who are not US educated: one in three are out of the workforce, and many more remain employed in low-wage or temporary positions.
New Women New Yorkers provides innovative, year-round programming in two key areas:
Workforce development: Current programming includes our LEAD and Bridge to LEAD job readiness training series, group practice and networking sessions in partnership with companies, and individual support in the form of resume review, phone screening interviews, and career counseling.
Community building, community education, and storytelling: Current programming include our monthly Community Mixers and Cultural Trips, our storytelling group in partnership with The Moth, and our Real People. Real Lives. Women Immigrants of New York exhibit project.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 29, 2021
- Human Resources Recruitment
- Reading / Writing
- Career Counseling / Coaching
- Must be at least 18
- Location & time commitment ● Resume Building takes place remotely. Starting with a 1-hour one-on-one virtual meeting, Resume Builders ask clarifying questions to understand the participant’s work experience and goals and to aid their edits of the