4 people are interested
Special Events Coordinator
ORGANIZATION: Pikes Peak Children's Museum
Please visit the new page to apply.
4 people are interested
Purpose of Volunteer Position: To help coordinate and plan different Special events for PPCM. Currently our events include: Spring Soiree (March/April depending when Easter is), Adults ONLY: Night at the Museum (Late Spring/early Summer), Colorado Science Festival (August/September), Fall Festival/Trunk or Treat (October), and Noon Years Eve (December)
Number of hours: 5-10 hours per week depending on which event you are working on & time of year.
Location: In person
Reports to: Currently, the Executive Director
Works Closely with: The Executive Director, Social media volunteers and Public Relations Coordinator
- Identify the requirements and expectations for each event.
- Liaise with vendors, exhibitors, and stakeholders during the event planning process to ensure everything is in order.
- Manage all event set-up, tear down, and follow-up processes.
- Maintain event budgets.
- Book venues, entertainers, photographers, schedule speakers, etc. as needed.
- Conduct final inspections on the day of the event to ensure everything adheres to PPCM standards.
- Assess an event’s overall success and submit findings.
- Work with PPCM to create a team specifically for the event and host meetings as needed and delegate
Tasks as needed.
- Be a part of the Fundraising/Events Committee and be able to meet in person or Zoom 1x a month
Volunteer Requirements/Working Conditions:
- Must choose 1 event to be the Special Events Coordinator for
- Can work remotely for most tasks
- Meetings for the event team and the fundraising/events committee needs to be in person or Zoom/Google meets
- Be available for the day of the event to manage the event
- Understand and promote PPCM’s mission
- Be a part of the Fundraising/Events Committee - meets 1-2 hours monthly; in person or Zoom
- Be able to meet more as needed with a team of volunteers for the specific event.
- Be an ambassador for PPCM
- Help to educate the community about PPCM
Recommended Volunteer Qualifications:
- At least 18 years old
- May work remotely out of Colorado Springs
- At least 3 years’ experience as an event coordinator.
- Well-organized with excellent multi-tasking abilities.
- Outstanding vendor management skills.
- Experience in hospitality, customer service and/or Public relations is a plus
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work well under a lot of pressure/stress (especially day of the event)
- Experience and a bonus for Track record of obtaining sponsorships
Short description of each event:
- Spring Soiree (March/April depending when Easter is)
- Community wide Easter Egg hunt. Vendors and sponsors will be needed. Along with food trucks and different entertainment. Work with local businesses and/or farmers to obtain large amounts of candy, plastic eggs and real eggs.
- Adults ONLY: Night at the Museum (Late Spring/early Summer)
- This event will be our form of a "gala fundraiser." We wanted something more fun and not so suit and tie set up as we are a kids museum and are all about PLAY! So this will be an evening for the ADULTS to come out and PLAY! The museum will be open along with outdoor games from local businesses and things we purchase. Sponsorship will be huge for this event. Our goal for this first event will be a minimum $10,000.00 raised. Finding Matching Grants would be ideal. Working with local chefs/restaurants to create a kid menu that is elevated for adults. Think mac and cheese, fish sticks, chicken nuggets, corn dogs, french fries, capri suns, ice cream cones, but all elevated for the adult palate and table seating for dinner. Work with local breweries, wineries and distillers to bring taste testing to the event.
- Colorado S.T.E.A.M. Festival (August/September)
- Think all things S.T.E.A.M. when it comes to careers. This is like a BIG JOB FAIR, but for kids to get interested in different careers geared to STEAM. Science teachers, park rangers, space engineers, electrical engineers, inventors, gamers, sculpture artist, painter/muralist, chocolatier, computer programmer, financial analyst, etc. Sky's the limit here to bring in as many different careers that represent STEAM. They will bring a fun activity that has to do with their career and material about getting into that position and about their business/company they represent. Vendors and sponsors needed. A big enough location will need to be secured. Speaker sessions and/or workshops would be great.
- Fall Festival/Trunk or Treat (October)
- Community wide Trunk or Treat event. Vendors and sponsors will be needed. Along with food trucks and different entertainment. Work with local businesses/farmers to obtain large amounts of candy, pumpkins, hay bales, and mini trinkets/toys (for kids with allergies).
- Noon Years Eve (December)
- Our longest standing event and fundraiser. Every year on December 31st, no matter what day it falls on. Currently held at Colorado Springs Event Center as it has the largest space (but if you can get a better price and find big enough space, we are willing to move locations). Vendors and sponsorship needed. Work with our balloon lady. Different entertainment including character meet and greets, DJ, photo booths, photographers, food vendors, and more are needed. Silent auction and alcohol pull are 2 fundraisers during the event, but we are open to changing this up or adding more.
About Pikes Peak Children's Museum
2565 Airport Road, Colorado Springs, CO 80910, US
PPCM is a community-built, hands-on educational destination that engages ALL children and their grown-ups by sparking creativity through purposeful play.
Our vision is to be a trusted, growing educational resource, and a community collaborator who offers opportunities to inspire children to reach their unique potential.The express objectives of PPCM are to provide:
- A dynamic hands-on, engaging and fun educational experience focused on the age group 0-10.
- A place for this demographic to encounter boundless opportunities for discovery and imagination, sparking a passion for life-long learning.
- A compelling environment to nurture wonder and creativity, encouraging children’s innate desire to explore the world around them.
- An indispensable resource for children, families, the community at large and elementary-level educators as a mutually beneficial connecting point.
2565 Airport RoadColorado Springs, CO 80910
October 18, 2022
- Event Design & Planning
- Event Management
- Event Planning / Management
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training