Become a volunteer host family
Are you looking to make a difference in the world?
Would you like to learn more about other cultures?
Hosting a foreign exchange student is a great way to start! ETC works with the U.S. Department of State to find homes for foreign exchange students coming to the USA on a J-1 visa.
We have students arriving from 15 different countries, ages 14-18, who are looking for an American family to share this once in a lifetime experience with.
What does being a host family entail?
* Ensure a safe and nurturing home environment for the student
* Provide students with a room (can be shared with a similar aged host sibling) & his/her own bed
* 3 meals per day
* Transportation to and from school and for extracurricular activities
* Give love and support to the student
* Explore cultural differences and similarities
* Families with or without children are accepted
What are the students like?
* Bring their own spending money and health insurance
* Have good English skills
* Are highly screened for the program
* Excited to meet their American family! Why should we become a host family?
* Learn a new culture by tasting new foods, listening to new music, and speaking a new language
* Share your culture with an exchange student
* Add another member to your family
* Help an exchange student get an American education and the experience of a lifetime!
Still not totally convinced?
See what The Rogers Family (former host family) has to say about their experience: "Our exchange student has been such a blessing in our lives. We had no idea we were missing anything until she came into our lives. Having a host daughter has made us laugh harder than we ever have before. It’s been so special to see my kids love her, bond with her, and my daughter’s closest confident in a time of her life. She has become not just a daughter to me, but my friend."
About Education Travel & Culture
1029 SW Washington Street, Portland, OR 97205, US
Education Travel & Culture (ETC) is a top-rated non-profit [501(c)(3)] educational exchange organization. Our purpose is to promote international understanding and goodwill by providing high quality educational and cultural exchange programs in the United States and abroad.
ETC provides inbound program opportunities for high school students throughout the world to study in an American high school and live with an American family. ETC's outbound program offers students the chance to study and live in a foreign country. Education Travel & Culture is a unique, personalized organization whose first goal is to provide exceptional support for both students and host families through a network of local coordinators and dedicated office staff.
CharlestonCharleston, SC 29414
October 22, 2021
- Child Care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 months depending on the exchange student