Become a Volunteer Host Family
Here is some general information needed to apply to be a host family:
- Host family will complete a host family application (HFA) online
- Members of the family 18 years or older must complete a criminal background check (found on page 3 of the online application)
- Host family provides 3 personal references (space found on page 3 of the online application)
- Local coordinator will conduct a host family interview (HFI) prior to student being placed with a family
- Field Manager will conduct host family orientation (HFO) prior to student moving into home
Below you’ll find information about what it means to be a host family, and what is expected of our students and coordinators.
Host family responsibilities:
- Ensure a safe and nurturing home environment for the student
- Provide students with a room (can be shared with a host sibling of similar age and same gender), his/her own bed, adequate storage, 3 meals per day, and transportation for extracurricular activities
- Give love and support to the student
- Explore cultural differences and similarities
- You do NOT have to have high school kids of your own- all types of families are accepted!!
- Bring their own spending money, health insurance & liability insurance
- Have English skills (reading, writing, speaking)
- Are highly screened for suitability for the program (Dept. of State issues their educational visas)
- Are not guests, they are treated as a member of your family
- Are excited to meet their American family!
Our Local Coordinators:
- Have received extensive training
- Meet with the students every month face to face
- Often have international or hosting experience
- Provide ongoing support to the host family
About Education Travel & Culture
1029 SW Washington Street, Portland, OR 97205, US
Education Travel & Culture (ETC) is a top-rated non-profit [501(c)(3)] educational exchange organization. Our purpose is to promote international understanding and goodwill by providing high quality educational and cultural exchange programs in the United States and abroad.
ETC provides inbound program opportunities for high school students throughout the world to study in an American high school and live with an American family. ETC's outbound program offers students the chance to study and live in a foreign country. Education Travel & Culture is a unique, personalized organization whose first goal is to provide exceptional support for both students and host families through a network of local coordinators and dedicated office staff.
HillwoodHillwood, TN 37205
October 21, 2021
- Child Care
- Cross-cultural Communication
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 months depending on the exchange student
- 3 meals a day, a place to sleep/study and transportation to and from school