Work on a team to facilitate the running of The Shed, a maker space exhibit geared towards children in second grade and above. Interact with children, their families, and school groups as they learn by doing. Engage groups with fun, hands-on STEAM activities and support the daily operation of this makerspace.
- Support children’s learning through exploring hands-on activities
- Assist in prototyping program components
- Provide excellent customer service
- Assist with cleaning, maintenance, and repair tasks within The Shed
- Experience working with young children in a group setting
- Friendly, pleasant demeanor; at ease with people of all ages
- Experience and/or interest in at least one of the following areas: wood working with hand or power tools, electronics and soldering, hand or machine sewing, making molds and casting various materials. If you have some other handy skill, please let us know!
- Ability to stand for periods of time up to one hour
- Ability to work with children at their eye level (i.e. ability to get onto the floor and up again)
- Ability to lift up to fifty pounds
- Provided by Shed Staff and DIY Manager.
4-hour shifts are available Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
Two consistent 4-hour shifts per month, for a minimum of six months. A willingness to volunteer for additional hours is always welcome!
- afternoon / 12:00 PM to 04:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Maryland Science Center
601 Light Street, Baltimore, MD 21230, US
We are the Maryland Science Center. We inspire. We empower. We engage. Let's science.
The Maryland Academy of Sciences is Maryland's oldest scientific institution and one of the oldest such institutions in the entire nation. At its inception in 1797, the Academy was an amateur scientific society - members met to discuss papers on astronomy, botany, zoology, and other subjects then known as the "natural sciences."
As the Academy continued its work through the 1800s and 1900s, the group searched for a permanent location to establish a space dedicated to interactive, hands-on learning. The vision became a reality with the opening of the Academy's Maryland Science Center in 1976.
Today, and for more than 40 years, the Maryland Academy of Sciences, through its programs and exhibits at the Maryland Science Center, has demonstrated a commitment to emphasize the importance of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). No other institution in the state reaches more teachers and students through onsite and outreach programming.
The Maryland Science Center invites you to join our Volunteer Program and celebrate science!
601 Light StreetBaltimore, MD 21230
October 20, 2021
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Public Speaking
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Two consistent 4-hour shifts per month, for a minimum of six months