NHQ: Finance - Humanitarian Finance - Case Sampling Volunteer
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) Humanitarian Finance unit. The purpose of this position is to help ensure compliance with internal policies related to financial assistance paid via Client Assistance Cards (CACs) and EFTs (Electronic Funds Transfers), and to identify exceptions to these standards. The position will review the supporting documents as collected by the Geographic Finance (GEO) Team from Chapter staff and compare them to the data that was entered into RC Care by Disaster Services. Exceptions to policies are to be noted in an Excel template. The completed template is returned via email within the required timeline. Volunteers can work remotely and will coordinate with the GEO Team of Humanitarian Programs Finance. IMPORTANT NOTE: To maintain a strong financial control environment, two roles (i.e. Caseworker and Monitor) are not permitted in the new RC Care system. Volunteers selected for this specific position (Humanitarian Finance Case Sampling Volunteer) will be assigned the "Monitor" role. Should you accept this role, other RC Care roles assigned to you, if any, must be forfeited.
Be knowledgeable of financial assistance practices and policies
- Familiarity with the RC Care system and access to RC Care system based on your role
- As Regions/Chapters come up for review, agree to be responsible for reviewing certain functions for compliance with approved practices and policies:
- Completion of Functions 1 and 2 involve review of documentation to ensure separation of duties, proper CAC physical inventory control, and activation of CACs
- Completion of Functions 3 and 4 involve review of timeliness of fiscal review by Disaster Services staff/volunteers, separation of duties during casework, independent event verification, and ensure use of client assistance price list
- Populate Excel templates for assigned functions to document the results of your review and email completed worksheet to GEO staff
- Long-range plan involves uploading completed Excel templates to a SharePoint and notifying GEO staff when review work is complete.
- Maintain communication with GEO team regarding issues, supporting documentation and/or RC Care access
This position will allow you to learn how finance fits into the Red Cross mission, and you to work from home or from any other remote location. In return, we are searching for an individual who possesses:
- Computer skills and Microsoft Excel skills including navigating a spreadsheet, using copy/paste, filtering and sorting, using/writing formulas, building and linking spreadsheets. (required)
- Must be willing to be assigned and maintain a Red Cross email account in order to access to RC Cares (required).
- Knowledge of the Financial Controls for Direct Client Assistance Disaster Cycle Services Standards and Procedures, and the Fiscal Review Job Tool are preferred, but training will be supplied if this is not a familiar topic.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to details (required).
- Ability to work independently within a remote environment (required).
- Must have a reliable computer, phone, and high-speed internet access (required).
- Resume is required.
Length of Apptmt: Minimum commitment of six months, renewable as mutually agreed
To apply for this opportunity and register as an American Red Cross volunteer, individuals must reside in the United States or on one of the United States Service to the Armed Forces stations. If you are an individual that does not meet this criteria, but are interested in volunteering with the Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in your country, please visit: https://www.ifrc.org/volunteer-us
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 21, 2021
- Financial Auditing
- Reporting & Dashboards
- Cost Analysis
- Financial Service Assistance
- 4-10 hours per month, depending on which Functions you agree to review.