11 people are interested
Mentor 6th-12th Grade Students at Austin ISD
11 people are interested
Support Austin ISD students by becoming a mentor! APIE mentors work one-on-one with students during the school day. They help students improve their social and study skills, strengthen their communication skills, and build self-confidence. They inspire students to develop new interests, explore career possibilities, and achieve their personal and academic goals. Mentors can choose to work with Austin ISD middle and high school students (6 th through 12 th grades) at any Austin ISD school.
APIE mentors should be:
- Positive, caring adults
- Able to commit to 30-45 minutes each week to virtually meet with the student consistently throughout the school year
- Non-judgmental and supportive
- Good listeners
- Complete a background check
APIE mentors receive:
- Initial mentor training and training on the virtual platform
- Introduction to supportive strategies to use with students in building effective mentor relationships
- Support from an on-campus mentor coordinator
Be who you needed when you were younger. We are currently recruiting and training mentors and we need YOU!
To learn more, visit https://austinpartners.org/get-involved/mentoring-with-aisd-students/.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Currently, volunteer opportunities will be primarily in-person. However, virtual opportunities are likely to be taking place as well. We are working to confirm this with the district.
About Austin Partners In Education
3100 E. 4th Street, Austin, TX 78702, US
Our Mission: Improve student college and career readiness and expand STEM opportunities through community engagement.
Focusing on Austin ISD’s schools located in under-resourced communities and serving predominantly economically disadvantaged students, Austin Partners in Education delivers innovative, volunteer-driven academic and mentoring programs. APIE’s 1,550 volunteers work with students at pivotal junctures in their education, providing a vital extension of academic and social/emotional support to students. Through the flagship Classroom Coaching program, students benefit from small group (3:1 or below) instruction from volunteers drawn from more than 200 Austin area government agencies, businesses and community organizations.
APIE is currently implementing the following programs:
- Middle School Math Classroom Coaching: Volunteers in the classroom work weekly with students to build a strong foundation in middle school math, putting them on track to succeed in high school algebra.
- College Readiness: College Readiness Advocates provide tutoring and college access mentoring to prepare students for college-level coursework.
- Mentoring (all grades): Volunteers work one-on-one with students during the school day to help students improve their social and study skills, strengthen their communication skills, and build self-confidence.
Multiple locations Austin, TX 78702
September 2, 2021
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 45 minutes once a week during the school year
- This volunteer opportunity takes place during the school day. Volunteers working with the campus mentoring coordinator to determine the specific day and time for meeting each week.