Virtual Opportunities to become a Volunteer Crisis Hotline Counselor
Fall 2021 Information & Interview Sessions
Apply and register for an interview session on our Website: https://www.211bigbend.org/volunteer
Information and Interview dates:Tues. 8/31/2021
Information Session-Facebook Live
Interview Session-Zoom Meeting
Interview Session-Zoom Meeting
Deadline for Fall 2021 Applications
Become a crisis hotline counselor! 2-1-1 Big Bend operates Helpline 2-1-1 (crisis, information, and resource referral hotline) and Lifeline (national suicide prevention hotline). Volunteer Hotline Counselors provide callers with free, confidential supportive counseling, crisis intervention, information and referrals. Volunteers can receive additional training to answer the HIV/AIDS Hotline and Family Health Line. Just as you would call 9-1-1 for emergencies, you can call 2-1-1 for human service information and assistance. Because life is 24/7, so are we!Minimum Qualifications
Applicants should possess a motivation to help people, a non-judgmental attitude and an ability to empathize, and agree to complete a 200-hour volunteer commitment. Applicants must also satisfactorily complete the application and screening process.
Applicants must be fluent in English (including speaking, writing and comprehending). This includes the ability to establish a relationship with callers, identify their problems, reflect their feelings and explore their alternatives. Because many of our services are provided via telephone this may require the ability to identify subtle inferences about a caller’s situation, thus a solid command of the English language is required.Training and Supervision
Volunteers go through 75 hours of initial training and then have supervised phone room training before becoming cleared to answer the hotlines. The Coordinator of Volunteers and Off-Site Supervisors directly supervise Volunteer Counselors.Advancement
Volunteer Counselors are preferred for filling other positions within 2-1-1 Big Bend including Part-time Counselors, Volunteer Training Assistant, Trainer, Program Specialist and Resource Specialist. Agency positions may be advertised to the public in addition to 2-1-1 Big Bend volunteers.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About 2-1-1 Big Bend
PO Box 10950, Tallahassee, FL 32302, US
"Helping individuals and communities by bringing people and services together through programs which include telephone counseling, crisis intervention, information, referral, and training services."
- 2-1-1 Big Bend provides a 24 hour free community hotline service called Helpline 2-1-1 offering individual, confidential counseling and human service information.
- 2-1-1 Big Bend provides help for: relationship issues, domestic violence, suicide, mental health concerns, substance abuse, grief, pregnancy, rape, abuse, crisis, housing assistance, disabilities, teen concerns, youth behavior problems and community information and referrals.
- A free, searchable resource database is provided on our website at www.211bigbend.org.
- 2-1-1 Big Bend is also the statewide hotline provider for Floridians seeking HIV/AIDS information, family health information and parenting support.
- 2-1-1 is an innovative response to society's demand for critical community information access - saving money and time by helping cut through the confusing maze of information and services that frequently overwhelm individuals, and providing a entry point for social assistance.
Confidential Location/Local Virtual OpportunityTallahassee, FL 32303
August 13, 2021
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Training is a semester long, Tuesday/Thursday nights. After training you pick your schedule for 18 hours a month until you reach 200 hours
- Must be 18