NHQ:Finance - Disaster Finance - Assistant Director - Virtual Deployment
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) Disaster Finance team.
Deploy to Disaster Relief Operations (DRO) as part of the management team. The position is responsible for representing the broader Disaster Finance (DF) team views and serving as intermediary between operational leadership and DF.
- Exemplify the tone set by the Job Director for engagement of workforce in which disaster responders are motivated, dedicated to service excellence and held fiscally accountable for their actions.
- Assume a leadership finance position within the Disaster Finance team in support of large-scale disaster operations. Work with the leadership team, support the development of a coordinated service delivery plan, ensuring plan details are captured as part of the operation’s variable budget. The position is responsible for representing the broader DF team views and serving as intermediary between operational leadership and DF.
- Facilitate the development of the operation’s variable budget, providing guidance throughout the process to the leadership team. Coordinate information flow between the operation leadership team and DF as necessary prior to and post approval processes. The position is responsible for ensuring all impacted personnel understand their respective role in implementing and managing the approved budget.
- Facilitate leadership discussions regarding the performance tools (variable job budget versus actual). Position is responsible for ensuring the appropriate follow up actions are taken by leadership.
- Direct the individual(s) assigned to reviewing and monitoring the financial control environment. Monitoring specific financial areas of control environment such as purchasing, warehousing and financial assistance. This will be accomplished using tools, checklists, processes, and procedures of the American Red Cross. The position is responsible for escalating unresolved issues regarding the financial control environment.
- Lead the finance activity through the planning, approval, implementation and management of recovery program including the development of the recovery budget, aligning the financial control environment and affiliated financial controls with recovery service delivery plan and ensuring all DF, reputation and legal concerns are addressed from a finance/admin perspective.
- Direct and provide leadership to assigned staff working in the finance/admin function.
- Provide leadership and support to assigned staff by promoting a creative working environment which drives innovation and stimulates development of the disaster responder knowledge base.
- Adhere to all finance policies, procedures, and practices of the American Red Cross.
- Perform related duties as assigned required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
- Will require travel commitment of up to 2 weeks per DRO
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 3-4 years of progressive experience working in a finance/admin leadership role or equivalent. Track record of leadership results in non-profit and/or for-profit organizations. Proven results in achieving financial results through others in a business unit.
- 2-3 years staff management experience or equivalent. Demonstrated ability to develop effective work teams and build consensus within the organization and the community. Experience in collaborative approaches to achieving organizational success.
- Comprehensive understanding of financial control environments and budgets. Ability to exercise sound judgement in complex situations with competing interests. Strong oral and written communication skills incorporating influencing skills. Ability to apply financial rigor and acumen to DRO initiatives. Demonstrates adaptability to constantly changing situations with flexible and creative approaches. Ability to take direction from an offsite supervisor and to manage various stakeholder interests while not hindering the organization’s ability to deliver services.
- Complete the American Red Cross Disaster Services Finance DRO Finance training program.
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office software, including Word, Excel, One Drive, PowerPoint, Outlook, and MS Teams.
- Access to a computer, telephone, and reliable internet service
- Must have a valid driver's license.
- Resume required
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
July 19, 2021
- Each deployment is for 2 weeks physically deployed to Disaster Relief Operation and 1 hour a month for training