Conservation Committee Organization Volunteer - Sierra Club Ohio
Sierra Club Ohio seeks 3-5 volunteers to join a team supporting the development of a Conservation Committee Organization Plan for the state.
In the Sierra Club, conservation work is carried out through a mix of local issue work conducted mainly by volunteers, and professionally staffed campaigns that seek to advance Club-wide objectives. A combination of volunteers and staff operate at the local, state, regional and national levels, and work on a variety of issues, campaigns and programs simultaneously.
Sierra Club Ohio is rebuilding how it does Conservation in Ohio. If you are passionate about conservation and building new teams, you are the right person for this committee. This is a short term but critical team that will lead the planning and development of the process that Sierra Club Ohio will use for its future Conservation Committee.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Develop a draft plan for the organization of the Conservation Committee for Sierra Club Ohio
- Review and process the plan amongst staff, volunteers, and constituents in an equitable and inclusive way.
- Develop a final plan to recommend to Sierra Club Ohio Steering Committee
- Help drive the roll-out of the final Conservation Committee Organization Plan
Knowledge and skills desired but not required:
- Knowledge and background in Conservation-related work in Ohio
- Familiarity with and commitment to the Jemez Principles (https://www.ejnet.org/ej/jemez.pdf) and Environmental Justice work
- Deep concern about environmental issues, and the ability to articulate them
- Experience in building and sustaining relationships with staff and volunteers in the implementation of conservation work
- Ability to work proactively as part of a team
- Ideas and skills for building internal procedures and communication
- Support Sierra Club Ohio with ongoing critical work in our network of staff and volunteers
- Join a team and meet new people around the state
- Drive how Sierra Club Ohio goes forward in planning Conservation work
- Be part of a group working towards equitable community building and connection
- Learn and have fun!
This position is unpaid - start date and hours are flexible. Anyone applying must be from Ohio and a member of the Sierra Club. We highly encourage all interested parties with diverse backgrounds to apply! Please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Nicole Wolcott ( email@example.com ) with any questions.
About Sierra Club Ohio Chapter
131 N. High Street, Suite 605, Columbus, OH 43215, US
Explore, Enjoy, and Protect the Planet
Founded by legendary conservationist John Muir in 1892, the Sierra Club is now the nation's largest and most influential grassroots environmental organization -- with more than two million members and supporters. Our successes range from protecting millions of acres of wilderness to helping pass the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act. More recently, we've made history by leading the charge to move away from the dirty fossil fuels that cause climate disruption and toward a clean energy economy.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
August 23, 2021
- Environmental Education
- Strategic Planning
- Capacity Planning
- Problem Solving
- Project Management
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours a month
- Must be from Ohio and a member of the Sierra Club