1 person is interested
Mentor for young people
1 person is interested
In this role, you will have training in mentoring, coaching, safeguarding, and other relevant skills. You will be matched with one or more young people and meet with them regularly to support them in their development, wellness, and life choices.
Mentoring sessions will be in person, online, or a combination of the two.
NGA mentors will be expected to:
- Be consistent and dependable and maintain a steady, positive presence in the mentee’s life
- Involve the child or youth in deciding what to discuss in a session
- Listen to and respect the thoughts and viewpoints of the child or youth, and focus on their strengths
- Have realistic expectations, and be prepared for any issues that may arise
- Commit at least 1 hour per week, for at least 6 months.
- Ensure the safety and security of the child during the sessions
- Use available resources, including the support and
guidance of the NGA staff
This role is subject to reference and DBS checks, applicants must be aged 18 and above. Due to changes of current Covid-19 restrictions, DBS document verification and inductions may be carried out electronically.
Basic IT skills - internet & email, Counselling, Language Skills, Reading & Writing
A commitment to the needs of young people and a desire to see them appropriately supported and encouraged in order for them to grow and develop to their full potential - Strong listening and conversational skills - Trustworthiness, openness and reliability - Respecting the values and beliefs of others, even if they are very different from your own - Preferred but not essential: Previous experience working as a mentor Additional requirements: - Ability to commit at least 1 hour weekly for at least 6 months - Commitment to NGA’s Basis and Values and its policies and procedures - Two personal references - Be over 18 years old
About Newington Green Alliance
Newington Green Alliance, 49 Florence Street, London, Greater London N1 2DU, GB
*Our Mission* To build a strong, sustaining community that is enhanced by our differences, to better the lives of all those who live and/or work in and around Newington Green. *Our Values* MUTUALITY INCLUSION EMPOWERMENT OPENNESS COMPASSION COURAGE
NGA became a UK registered charity (1190473) in July 2020. We are an all-volunteer organisation with over 100 volunteers and a wide range or projects geared toward building connection and relationship across all the many differences in the Newington Green area of London.
Newington GreenLondon, Greater London N16United Kingdom
August 17, 2021
- Youth Services
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Life Coaching
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18