1 person is interested
DELIVERY DRIVER FOR SENIOR SCENE NEWSPAPER - Age 55 and over
1 person is interested
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteers) is looking for volunteers age 55 and older to be substitute delivery drivers for the Senior Scene newspaper with routes in Pierce and King County. Flexible schedules are available. Newspapers are delivered once a month to businesses, offices, medical facilities libraries, churches and residential communities. Mileage is reimbursement is $0.575 per mile.
We are anticipating some permanent driving shifts to be available in the near future at the same reimbursement rates.
VOLUNTEER DESCRIPTION - DELIVERY DRIVER FOR SENIOR SCENE NEWSPAPER
- We have routes throughout Pierce County and parts of King County. New volunteers can start as a substitute on an as-needed basis or wait until we can offer a permanent route.
- Deliveries are made to a variety of locations. The volunteers drive their own cars and are reimbursed for mileage. Depending on the route, locations might include apartment buildings, senior living communities, private businesses (including restaurants, book stores and other retailers), medical offices and facilities, and churches. (We don't deliver to private, single-family residences, but we do mail the paper to subscribers). During the pandemic, some delivery locations are closed. We'll resume delivering when they reopen.
- Generally, we stack the designated number of papers on a rack or other display area. At some locations that are open but have restricted access, we leave papers outside the entrance for someone inside to take inside. We wrap them with a rubber band so they don't blow around in any wind.
- The best days and hours to make deliveries are Monday through Friday, 9 to 5. Volunteers pick whatever day or days’ work best for them. We want volunteering to fit comfortably with the rest of your life. But we do ask to have papers delivered by the fifth day of each month.
- We follow mask and social distancing guidelines. Even when just dropping papers off outside a building, we ask volunteers to wear a mask for their protection and the protection of others. We provide masks, hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes if volunteers need them.
- We reimburse volunteers, at a rate of 57 cents per mile, for their mileage. They keep track of miles starting when they leave their home to go to our office (off of 38th & Pine) and pick up papers, and from when they start delivering until they're done.
- When they're done delivering, they write down their total miles on their route sheet, and sign and date the sheet. Then they mail it to Program Manager in an envelope that we provide (stamped and addressed). After it is received, it is turned into the accounting office, and they process a direct-deposit of the reimbursement (or mail a check if preferred). We also reimburse for bridge tolls.
WHEN TO PICK UP PAPERS
- Papers are available to pick up at our office on the last Tuesday of each month. They can be picked up any time after 12 p.m. on that date or during regular business hours on the following weekdays.
- We completely understand if for any reason a volunteer can't deliver in any given month because of a schedule conflict. All we ask is for the volunteer to let us know so we can arrange for a backup.
*******ADDITIONAL INFO ABOUT THE RSVP PROGRAM*****
RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program) is the nation's largest network for volunteers age 55 and over. The growing segment of our older population is vital to strengthening our communities through their interest in helping others. As an RSVP volunteer, you are strengthening the positive impact people 55 and older have in our communities. Our focus is to incorporate meaningful volunteer opportunities that provide purpose and a way to give back to the community.
RSVP is sponsored by Lutheran Community Services Northwest, a private, not-for-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of the people it serves.
INTERESTED or have questions? Please respond via Craigslist with any questions or concerns. We will be happy to email or mail an application to you.
About Lutheran Community Services
223 N. Yakima Avenue, Tacoma, WA 98403, US
Lutheran Community Services Northwest partners with individuals, families and communities for health, justice and hope.
Lutheran Community Services Northwest, in Pierce and Kitsap County, focuses on services for seniors, including Caregiver Support, Home Care, Meals on Wheels, RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program), Senior Friends, and Senior Companion Program. In addition, the Kitsap County office has a Navy Respite program and the Pierce County Office has a Refugee Resettlement and Placement Program, and Senior Media Services.
Multiple locations Tacoma, WA 98409
July 26, 2021
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 55
- 2-4 HOURS OR MORE IF YOU WANT DURING THE WEEK OF DELIVERY, THE LAST WEEK OF THE MONTH
- Able to lift small bundles of newpapers