DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
NHQ:COMM - Communications Digital Volunteer (Weekly)
DONATE TO THIS
6 people are interested
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) Communications (COMM) department, specifically the Social Engagement Team. This is a remote (volunteer-from-home) opportunity. Communications Digital Volunteers use their social media skillset to help maintain and amplify the Red Cross message during steady and operational states. They also help community members, on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Digital Volunteers are trained to help with tasks like social care, social monitoring and content creation and are asked to post from their personal social media accounts. During large disasters, these volunteers assist the Social Engagement team by monitoring online conversations about the Red Cross, providing resources to disaster-affected people and reporting on any Red Cross-related concerns in the community.
Steady state social media responsibilities may include:
- Monitoring for and engaging with any social media posts mentioning the Red Cross
- Searching for and thanking financial and blood donors
- Replying to people who have Red Cross-related questions or who are looking for health and safety courses
- Alerting leadership to any negative posts that may pose a significant reputational risk to the organization
- After advanced training, becoming a Digital Lead to other digital volunteers
Operational State social media responsibilities may include:
- Sharing information and correcting misinformation about Red Cross disaster response
- Connecting people who are seeking help with proper community resources
- Providing emotional support to followers during disasters
- Identifying trends and reporting back to the NHQ Social Engagement Team
- Supporting regional social media accounts, if necessary.
- With advanced training, positioned as the Digital Lead for large-scale disasters and supporting the operation on a national level.
Digital Volunteers are required to complete at least one 3-hour shift per week (which can be chosen based on their schedule) as well as required to respond to at least one Level 5 disaster per year.
- Degree, professional experience, or volunteer experience in Communications/Public Relations, required
- Currently active on personal social media accounts, particularly on Facebook and Twitter, required
- Willing to utilize personal social media accounts to share Red Cross messaging and engage with others on the platforms, required
- Regularly check email and have regular internet access, required
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in using social media sites, required
- Interest in helping spread the Red Cross mission and in helping others on social media, required Experience using social media content management tools such as Hootsuite, Tweetdeck, Sprout Social or Social Studio, preferred
- Knowledge of social media monitoring and developing social care responses during a crisis, preferred
- Do you regularly use social media and have personal accounts on platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram?
- Are you willing to use your personal accounts to share Red Cross messaging and content, and to engage with others as a Red Cross volunteer?
- Do you have a degree, professional experience, or volunteer experience in Communications/Public Relations?
- Do you have an interest in helping spread the Red Cross mission and helping others on social media?
- Are you available to commit at least one year as a Digital Volunteer?
- Are you able to commit to a minimum of one 3-hour shift per month and to respond to one Level 5 disaster per year?
To apply for this opportunity and register as an American Red Cross volunteer, individuals must reside in the United States or on one of the United States Service to the Armed Forces stations. If you are an individual that does not meet this criteria, but are interested in volunteering with the Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in your country, please visit: https://www.ifrc.org/volunteer-us
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 15, 2021
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Content Management Systems
- Community Outreach
- Verbal / Written Communication
- 3 shifts per week based on volunteers scheduled