61 people are interested
Tree Taggers (remote volunteer)
Please visit the new page to apply.
61 people are interested
We are currently building a team of tree taggers to verify global reforestation projects and accelerate Greenstand’s machine learning team. The Tree tagger will help us review, verify, tag, and label tree images. Thousands of pictures of young trees are uploaded to our verification platform. We need help figuring out what species the trees are by using the Computer Vision Annotation Tool (CVAT), a web-based image and video annotation tool which we use for tagging tree images for the development of advanced machine learning algorithms. We will train you in CVAT and our technical platform. This is a great opportunity for an interested individual to get their foot in the door of an annotation program.
- In this role, you will be asked to analyze tree images based on their leaf patterns, locations and accurately label/tag them using CVAT.
- You will work as part of a team to integrate CVAT with our Admin Panel web application in order to complete the tree verification process.
- You will review various images on the computer and classify them according to their types of species and attach tags.
- Be passionate about trees, species identification, and machine learning algorithms.
- Must be comfortable using computers and learning a new program/tool
- Detail-oriented, organized, and quality-focused
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Expecting at least 3+hours in a week, 5+ preferred.
- Strong communication skills.
What you get in return
- Exposure to machine learning expertise to better understand how the labels are used to train learning algorithms
- Letter confirming your volunteer hours and projects
- Professional reference(s)
- Valuable experience & leadership opportunities
- Engagement with a team of global professionals
Greenstand is a fully remote social nonprofit organization turning environmental stewardship into a reliable source of income. Our work tackles both extreme poverty and climate change through technology. Our main product is the Treetracker, a mobile app that allows planting organizations and their donors to track the growth of newly planted trees through periodic geotagged photos.
The project is at a really exciting stage and has been recently elevated to a Supporting Partner for the United Nations Decade on Ecosystem Restoration . This could not be done without many amazing people contributing their skills and time from around the world.
Read more about our work on Greenstand.org.
Please fill out the appropriate volunteer form and you’ll receive instructions for joining our Slack community https://greenstand.org/contribute/volunteer
Reach out via email if you have any issues or questions.
721 Depot Drive, ANCHORAGE, AK 99501, US
Greenstand is a U.S.-based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization developing open-source technology to address climate change and alleviate poverty through digitizing environmental goods and services. We are made up of about 505 contributors across the globe. Our Treetracker app verifies and tracks individual trees, thus creating transparency in the reforestation sphere. Organizations and donors can locate individual trees and trade their ecological impact. By facilitating ownership of trees and their ecological services, Greenstand allows for tree-growing organizations to stay accountable.
Greenstand develops mobile technology for better forestation techniques. Through our Treetracker app, rural smallholder farmers in some of the most remote communities on the planet are able to earn a sustainable income by planting, caring for, and tracking trees. Each tree grower takes a geotagged photo of their tree and uploads it to the Treetracker’s verification system, where Greenstanders verify that each photographed tree is alive and growing. Verified trees are digitized as Impact Tokens, which can be traded or sold among other Impact Wallet users within the Treetracker app.
Nasiyan was one of our first Treetracker. A single mother living with extreme visual and hearing impairments, she could barely afford to keep food on the table for herself and her three sons. However, since she began growing and tracking trees with Greenstand, her life has been looking up. Her young forest has become a small biodiversity hotspot, and with the income she has earned from tracking trees, she can now afford to send her boys to school.
Are you interested in helping us fight climate change and extreme poverty? We’re interested in you! Please check out our open opportunities or shoot us an email at email@example.com. We can’t wait to hear from you!
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
November 4, 2022
- Basic Computer Skills
- Database Administration
- We are expecting at least 3+ hours in a week, 5+ are preferred.
- Be motivated to make a difference!