Facility and Preparator Internship
Oceanside Museum of Art
Oceanside Museum of Art (OMA) is looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to join our team as the Facilities and Preparator Intern.
Responsibilities for the Facilities and Preparator Intern include the following:
- Assist in the installation of exhibitions: hanging, art handling, painting, ability to lift 25 lbs. or more, work on ladders,
- Assist in implementing a design or floor display of store, gallery space, as well as, programs and events, as needed
- Assist with installation and de-installation of event set-up and break-down
- Work collaboratively with the museum’s leadership team, staff, volunteers, and community partners to further support and enhance the visitors’ museum experience
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- General carpentry knowledge (not mandatory)
- Knowledge of tools and materials needed to work on an installation (not mandatory)
- Windows computer, and MS Office skills
- Excellent time management skills; ability to manage a variety of responsibilities at one time
- Attention to detail
- Ability to keep a clean workspace
- Communicate effectively
- Able to work independently
- Able to understand and fulfill detailed instructions
- Creative thinker who is resourceful
- Possess a friendly and approachable manner
From modest beginnings as a volunteer initiative, Oceanside Museum of Art has grown into a vibrant institution recognized as a leader in the wave of change that is transforming the city of Oceanside. As a leader for arts and culture in North County San Diego, Oceanside Museum of Art promotes cultural tourism and contributes to the cultural economic development of Oceanside and the region. Since opening in 1997, the museum has presented innovative and dynamic exhibitions of significant local and regional art, as well as exhibitions of national and international interest.
About Oceanside Museum of Art
704 Pier View Way, Oceanside, CA 92054, US
The Oceanside Museum of Art presents provocative, contemporary exhibitions from the region and around the world. We offer art instruction at the OMA School of Art, concerts, films, lectures, docent tours, and the OMA Museum Store. Oceanside Museum of Art is a gathering place where friends meet to share and enjoy the rich cultural experiences available in the region.
Volunteers are the mainstay of Oceanside Museum of Art and we want you! OMA volunteers work once a week, once a month or every other week for a three hour assignment. Volunteering at Oceanside Museum of Art is a great way to meet people and be a part of the museum. Ask a friend to volunteer with you and make it an opportunity to get together and stay in touch. You will become acquainted with the art and artists of the region as well as your neighbors in the community. The museum is leading the wave of change in Oceanside that is evident by the vibrant arts and cultural life developing in downtown Oceanside. If you have a few hours a week and want to be involved with an exciting and growing cultural program, please call our volunteer Coordinator Claire Youngstrom 760-757-9307, or email Danielle@oma-online.org . Volunteers are needed during the daytime, on weekends, and for special evening events. Museum hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.
Oceanside Museum of Art is located at 704 Pier View Way, one block north of Mission Avenue on the corner of Ditmar in downtown Oceanside within walking distance from the Oceanside Transit Center with stops for the Coaster, Sprinter, Amtrak and Metrolink. Free all day street parking is available one block east of the museum or at the Civic Center parking garage on Ditmar and Pier View Way. The museum Web site offers information and photographs of the museum and its programs, www.oma-online.org .