Social Worker and Disabled Child Care Volunteer in Nepal
Volunteer Society Nepal
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
2 people are interested
Center for Children with Disabilities (CCD)
Volunteer Society Nepal has established a center for physically and intellectually disabled children. The Center for Children with Disabilities is located in Kathmandu and has 20 children at present. These children have intellectual and developmental disabilities. They were previously ignored and neglected and have now been receiving special education and physiotherapy services. Furthermore they also receive nutritious food such as fresh vegetables, fruits, and milk on a daily basis.
Disabled in Nepal
Disabled individuals in Nepal are commonly ignored, neglected, and forced to live in dark rooms. Because their family members feel shame at having lost prestige in the community because of them. As a result, many are dying in the same room or bed where they were born. In Nepal, disabilities are seen as a form of punishment given by the gods. Having a disabled family member affects the reputation and social relations of the whole family. The disabled persons are denied basic human rights such as education, health care, employment etc. Persons with disabilities in Nepal live in a state of neglect and humiliation.
Join our Volunteering Activities
As a volunteer/ intern, you may do:
- Typically assist caregivers, and provide more education on care methods where necessary.
- Work with the children to provide assistance with therapy, activity preparation, education on basic health and sanitation, academic assistance, and general care.
- Provide physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, music therapy services.
- Help to plan activities and outings for sightseeing, picnics, cultural sharing, reading stories and promoting a love of reading, conversational English with the children.
- Helping the children with their homework assignments etc. depending on the children’s abilities.
- Provide vocational Training, income Generating Program
- Organize recreational Activities-Audio-Visual aids, play, music and games.
About Volunteer Society Nepal
Purano Sinamangal, Kathmandu, Nepal 4232455, NP
Volunteer Society Nepal is founded on a dream. That brave and generous volunteers from across all backgrounds from Nepal and abroad could work together.
At the height of the conflict in Nepal in 2004 we gathered a team of Nepalese development workers. We also invited foreign social activists and foreign volunteers to come and help. Together we combat the shortages in education, healthcare and women’s rights. We believe we can do this quicker and more efficiently than the existing international organizations. Our work has taken on a new dimension following the devastation of the 2015 earthquake. We have since doubled our efforts to sustain and increase our humanitarian projects.