Public Relations Correspondent
HUMANE ACTION PITTSBURGH
Coordinate all social public relations affairs for HUMANE ACTION Pittsburgh (HAP) and affiliate campaigns.
Purpose of the Position
- Increase visibility and impact of HAP by leveraging news media and other relevant outlets
- Engage with news outlets and members of the public to publicize issues involving our organization, highlight events and achievements, and address attacks and criticism.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with HAP and No Plastic Please (NPP) leadership to decide HR initiatives and strategies
- Grow awareness of HAP with the news media and general public
- Coordinate consistent communication with news outlets to keep HAP top of mind
- Draft and submit press releases to relevant outlets
- Create relationships with members of the news media to ensure continued coverage of HAP’s campaigns
Training on HAP’s core values, mission, and policies, including orientation on campaign missions and status.
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Past experience writing press releases
- Interest or experience in local news media a plus
- Passion and knowledge on the issues surrounding HAP’s mission
- Working knowledge of digital communication tools
- Ability to present yourself in a friendly, professional, and non-partisan manner
- Ability to work independently, follow instructions, and meet deadlines
- Working knowledge of Google Drive, Trello and Dropbox, or a willingness to learn
Time Commitment Required
As needed, approximately 3-4 hours a week. This will vary.
Professional dress required for meetings. If attending an informal event, volunteer must purchase a HAP or NPP T-shirt at cost.
- Work can be conducted remotely from home, but application must be in the Western PA region.
- Meetings with HAP and NPP leadership will be in person at a mutually convenient location or virtual via Zoom conference
- Attendance at HAP general meetings (Humane Animal Rescue at 6926 Hamilton Ave, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15208) is highly encouraged (when in person meetings become applicable again)
Benefits to the Volunteer
- Grow leadership skills
- Develop communication skills
- Cultivate your passion for animal and environmental protection and put it into action
- Create real impact on the issues regarding animal welfare
- Be a valued HAP team member
- Build your volunteer resume
What Volunteers Can Expect From HAP
- Support of HAP leadership and members
- Respect and appreciation for your contribution and input
About HUMANE ACTION PITTSBURGH
1307 TOWNE CT, ALLISON PARK, PA 15101, US
OUR VISION is a world without animal suffering where all beings are treated with compassion. OUR MISSION is to advance the protection of all animals by empowering people to affect change through education, policy, and community action.
SET THE STANDARD By educating the community on the most pressing animal issues of our time and recommending common sense solutions that decision-makers rely on, we set the standard in animal protection. We advance our cause with proven methods -progress over perfection, changing course when needed, being prepared, and staying well connected.
BUILD TRUSTED RELATIONSHIPS Effective advocacy happens by building relationships grounded in cooperation and a shared vision. HAP values inclusivity and professionalism.
FOSTER EMPOWERMENT We set high expectations and achieve them by working with exceptional people who bring their wide array of talents and passion for animal well-being. In order to develop a free and creative culture, we respect the opinions and ideas of others. We are committed to our team and fulfilling our mission by supplying the tools for individuals to become remarkable leaders and advocates.
CREATE COMMUNITY We are stronger together. Collaborating with colleagues, sponsors, legislators, and community leaders, we find that animal protection is well within reach.
DELIVER RESULTS We establish ambitious, clearly defined goals, and work in a systematic manner to realize our objectives and create positive outcomes. We measure our success by our ability to protect animals.