Help Adults Learn English Online -- Looking for Class Moderators
Purpose: In Dallas today, thousands of adults are not able to reach their potential due to their limited ability to speak and write English. Hard-working people across our city want to improve their English skills so they can improve their lives and the lives of their families. THEY NEED YOUR HELP!
Join us as we work together to make a lasting mark in people’s lives. As the On-Line ESL Class Moderator, you assist with administrative and technical activities. Observing the student’s engagement allows the teacher to focus on teaching and helps the students connect to the learning experience. This role is critical to making our on-line classes successful.
We are proud of our fun and compassionate classroom environment. Our volunteers and students share an amazing experience as both parties engage in learning. Students share a deep desire to improve and volunteers get the joy of experiencing their students grow.
Location/ Time: We offer on-line classes during the day and evenings.
- Support ESL teachers in conjunction with the Zoom platform using predefined curriculum and materials to a range of learners.
- No teaching experience is required.
- Support in-class communication and teaching. Duties include greeting students, manage student virtual entrance to class, capture class attendance, and engage with students using chat and other tools to encourage student engagement.
- Assist the online teacher with class management using zoom tools such as breakout rooms. We will provide training.
- Keep up with class content and activities to be able to answer questions and reinforce points in the lesson.
- Work with the teacher to facilitate class through interactive and team assignments, ensuring students have abundant opportunities to practice speaking skills. Be willing to facilitate a small group in activities assigned by the teacher.
- Answer questions students may have and help them build confidence by encouraging them regularly.
- Must have a quiet space in your home or workspace and adequate equipment for moderating the class. This includes an internet-connected PC with a camera and a microphone.
- Communicate with class instructor Program Director on student progress.
- Complete end of semester survey to provide feedback about your experience.
- Attend informal and formal training to assist in the learning process.
Time Commitment: Our on-line classes are 2 hours each.
- Daytime classes are from 9 - 1 Monday through Thursday.
- Evening classes are Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9 PM.
- Our Fall semester is 13 weeks and our Spring semester is 17 weeks long.
- If you need more flexibility, we are also looking for substitutes and tutors.
Qualifications: Our On-Line ESL moderator positions do not require previous teaching experience. Our staff will provide the lesson plans and materials. Other qualifications are as follows:
- Must be fluent in English and easy to understand
- Patience, understanding, and a positive attitude.
- Strong desire to relate to students and assist them in improving their language skills.
- Access to an internet-connected PC with a camera and microphone
- Ability to serve as a substitute instructor as needed.
- Must be able to pass a background check
Support: Training and resources are provided. The Volunteer Director and Adult ESL Program Director are available for questions and assistance.
Development Opportunities: ASPIRE offers growth opportunities. We provide a range of workshops for instructor training and encourage peer support. Additionally, we welcome those working towards their TESOL certification and provide course practicum fulfillment opportunities.
Age Requirement: 21 years or older
Dress Code: Casual Work Appropriate
FOR MORE INFORMATION email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 214-500-0909.
PO Box 570159, Dallas, TX 75357, US
Aspire develops confident, capable individuals who value learning programs--from early childhood to adults pursuing careers--as a gateway to a better life.
LIFT and the Aberg Center for Literacy merged in July 2020, supported by the Better Together Fund. The new merged organization, Aspire, provides cradle to career learning programs for students of all ages - from early childhood to adults pursuing careers.
At Aspire, we believe learning turns obstacles into opportunities. Every day, we walk alongside our students as they make the brave decision to change their lives. From learning English or earning a GED, to balancing a family bank account or preparing for careers, our students face challenges with confidence. Because when you are ready to learn, there’s no obstacle you can’t overcome.