Digital Analytics Developer (Volunteer)
Digital Analytics Developer (Volunteer)
*Note: the following is an opportunity for volunteer, part time, flexible work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid employment. * Minimum 6 months commitment required.
Are you an experienced Digital Analytics Developer who is passionate about making a difference? Are you excited about the opportunity to work with smart and talented individuals committed to producing great content in the public interest? Can you commit a minimum of 10-15 hours a week, working remotely on your own schedule with our far-flung, diverse team?
The nonprofit news organization WhoWhatWhy is looking for a Digital Analytics Developer (Volunteer) to join the team. As part of this team, you will enable the collection of high quality, actionable data and will utilize modern, best-in-class methods for instrumenting, configuring, and using web analytics tools such as Google Analytics. While technical expertise is important, communication skills are also key as you work closely with internal teams on a daily basis. Ultimately, you should be able to create a functional and attractive digital environment for our company, ensuring great user experience. If you fit in the description, please send us your resume and a customized cover letter.
Who We Are
Before you decide to apply, make sure the WhoWhatWhy mission resonates with you. Check out whowhatwhy.org. You’ll quickly see that we’re a credible response to the raging debate over whether the news is "fake" or not, publishing agenda-free research and bracingly fresh analysis. At WhoWhatWhy, we approach each story with an open mind, boundless curiosity, and a willingness to dig deep and ask hard questions. We believe that this is the essence of true journalism.
Because we’re straight to the point, we make clear that, as a nonprofit with a very limited budget that accepts no advertising, we are staffed principally by volunteers - skilled volunteers. However, we do have big ambitions - which is why we’re seeking an experienced Digital Analytics Developer to work closely with the internal team to support and implement high-quality, data-driven decisions. That will play a crucial role in our ability to continue growing and sharing our quality journalism with an ever-expanding, eager audience.
- Gather diverse data needs and business requirements across verticals to optimize effective measurement and reporting
- Maintain and evolve reporting across the business
- Distill abstract business questions into concrete data questions
- Communicate proactively with stakeholders to ensure they feel heard, understood, and supported
- Perform strategic assessments of website and analytics setups
- Evaluate analytics configurations and data for issues, support rapid resolution for mission-critical reporting
- Generate clear functional requirements for analytics implementation and tag management
- Configure web analytics, call tracking, and other tools to gather the data you need
- Ensure best-practices are followed to install, configure, and use web analytics tools, tag management systems, and A/B testing tools
- Recommend and implement analytics tracking code needed for ongoing reporting and analysis activities
- Analyze and document current standard and advanced analytics tracking, tag management plan, custom reports, custom dimensions, data layers, event tracking, and dashboards
- Perform technical operations in Google analytics tools (tagging, testing, ongoing care and feeding of analytics platforms), development and maintenance of various reports, dashboards and measures, data studio to turn data to informative reports, and ad hoc analysis
- Serve as the google analytics expert to proactively cross-train teams as appropriate on the use of analytics tools and approaches, staying abreast of trends and best practices
- Bachelor’s degree, or a degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business, Engineering, Marketing, or a related technical discipline
- 5+ years of technology experience in google analytics with hands-on experience leading, developing, and architecting google analytics reporting
- Experience in Google Analytics and Google Search Console, easily navigating both implementation/configuration and reporting/analysis functions
- Experience with Google Tag Manager and have implemented event tracking, enhanced ecommerce conversion pixels, etc.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, how to clarify for action, and get to what drives business value
- Understand how to contextualize data within the digital marketing ecosystem
- Experience with requirements gathering and documentation
- Understand how to collect business requirements and map them to specific digital measurement tactics
Other experience preferred, but not required:
- Experience with server-side data collection tools
- Google Analytics Individual Qualification
- Knowledge of/experience with A/B Testing platforms
- Writing experience to create reference manuals, developer guides, and code samples
- Advanced proficiency in Excel, Power BI, and/ or Google Data Studio
- Can manipulate data using R or Python
- Channel your passion in a stimulating environment
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations in an up-and-coming organization
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can enhance your professional trajectory
- Do amazing work on a flexible, part-time basis
- Have fun while you make a difference
You will work remotely and on your own schedule, though we require a minimum commitment of 10-15 hours a week. Because our staff is spread throughout the world, we communicate mostly through Slack and email, and team members are requested to be highly responsive in a timely manner. We prefer candidates who can commit a minimum of six months to our organization. This is a work-at-home position.
If you possess a high level of self-motivation, work well independently but also have strong collaboration skills, enjoy the opportunity to partner with other senior leaders, and can commit quality time per week on a regular basis to help achieve team goals, we’d like to hear from you.
Please send us a resume and carefully reasoned, customized cover letter that outlines your experience and skill set and explains why you’re a good fit for this position. Please provide a cover letter in the space given or send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our mission must resonate deeply with you. We will not review applications that appear to be mass submissions. You must confirm your understanding that this is a volunteer position. Thanks!
PO BOX 1103, NEW YORK, NY 10276, US
WhoWhatWhy is a nonprofit, nonpartisan news organization aiming to discover and share the truth about matters affecting us all. We launched with the idea that the public deserves courageous and thorough investigations into powerful institutions, entities and individuals that shape our world. We pride ourselves on having no sacred cows, and covering stories that no one else will touch. At WhoWhatWhy, we believe that quality information changes minds--and that when you change minds, you change everything.
WhoWhatWhy embodies a form of investigative reporting that is rigorous, relentless, and scientific - we call it forensic journalism.
We take on controversial topics others will not touch and dig deep to uncover and name the institutions and persons shaping our world. Our organization is neither partisan nor ideological and only provides accounts based on extensive research and thorough sourcing.
In addition to producing rigorous investigative reporting, we seek to further the long-term survival and betterment of the news industry as a whole.