Literacy Services of Wisconsin
The Aspire program works with youth to increase graduation rates, reduce incarcerations and gang involvement, and encourage youth to invest in their education. In partnership with Wisconsin Community Services, Literacy Services of Wisconsin is building the infrastructure for the educational component of the Aspire program.
Aspire tutors may work in-person or remotely by virtual conferencing platform with high school-aged students to help with their homework and improve their basic literacy/numeracy skills. Subjects may include language arts, math, science, history, or any other high school-level subject. In coordination with program staff, Aspire tutors will facilitate students’ learning and comprehension through creative and resourceful instruction.
The Aspire program serves a socially and culturally diverse community. We strive to build a team of volunteers which is similarly rich in diversity.
Estimated Time Commitment:
Minimum of 1 hour per week with 6 month commitment. Available blocks are 4:00-5:00pm and 5:00-6:00pm, Monday through Thursday.
- High school diploma and some college
- Must be patient, compassionate, supportive, and enthusiastic
- Should have a solid knowledge base on most subjects at a high school level, and be willing to learn new material to aid students’ understanding
- Should be committed to improving social justice and racial equity in our community
- Must have a valid email address, regular email access, and confidence in using technology
- Must be able to pass a thorough background check
- Must be a U.S. resident
- Be reliable and inform program staff ahead of any absences
- Motivate students with positive reinforcement, patience, and enthusiasm
- Be supportive, compassionate, and non-judgmental towards students
- Research academic content, with guidance from program staff, for material relevant to students’ needs
- Ask questions whenever they arise; program staff are available to assist you
- Report specific concerns or issues to the program staff
USE THE LINK BELOW TO APPLY!
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Literacy Services of Wisconsin
555 N. Plankinton Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53203, US
Literacy Services of Wisconsin partners with motivated adults to provide access to quality basic education and skills training so they can improve their lives, enrich their families, and strengthen our community.
Literacy Services of Wisconsin is the longest volunteer-driven provider of adult literacy and basic education in the Milwaukee area. We are driven by our core belief in the power of education at any age to positively change lives.