46 people are interested
Meals from the Heart - RMHCK
Please visit the new page to apply.
46 people are interested
For a family with a seriously ill child, a long day at the hospital can be exhausting and a delicious meal can be quite the pick-me-up. Our goal is to provide families with at least one meal a day at the Ronald McDonald House and we depend on volunteer groups to prepare and organize homemade meals for our families. Our volunteer groups are families, churches, school groups, or community organizations, many of whom have been coming for years!
Here is some general information about our Meals from the Heart program that may help you decide if this is the volunteer opportunity for you:
- For the health and well-being of our families ALL food must be prepared in our kitchen or in a commercial kitchen. Any store-bought items should be in unopened containers and all produce should be brought in whole.
- When our House is full, plan on preparing dinner for approximately 60-75 people and brunch for 30-40 people. We encourage you to call our front desk, 502-581-1416, a few days in advance to get a better idea of how many people are staying at our House.
- Dinner is served at approximately 6 p.m., please arrive between 4-4:30 p.m. for orientation. Brunch is served at approximately 10 a.m., please arrive between 8-8:30 a.m. for orientation. Early arrivals will not have access to the kitchen before the times listed above.
- Please wear closed toe, non-skid shoes.
Due to the nature of the coronavirus pandemic, we’ve made some recent changes to our meal program.
- Group size is limited to no more than 8 people to allow for social distancing in our kitchen.
- No one under the age of 16 is permitted in our kitchen at this time.
- Masks must be worn when entering the House and at all times throughout the building. They are provided onsite for your convenience.
- Temperatures of all volunteers will be taken as soon as entering our House. Anyone’s temperature over 99.4 degrees will not be allowed to stay on our premises.
- The following questions must be asked of each volunteer prior to their arrival. If a prospective volunteer responds "Yes" to any of the wellness check questions, they shall not enter the program facility.
Wellness Check Questions
- Do you currently have an elevated temperature of 99.4°F/37.5°C or higher, cough, sore throat, shortness of breath or other flu-like symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting or diarrhea?
- Have you been diagnosed with COVID-19 by a medical provider?
- In the past 14 days, have you had close contact with a person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 by a medical provider? Close contact is defined as being within 6 feet/1.8 meters for 10 minutes or more or living in the same household.
- Have you been told by a healthcare provider or public health official that you should self-quarantine due to potential COVID-19 exposure(s) or that you are suspected of having COVID-19?
About Ronald McDonald House Charities of Kentuckiana - Family Room
3999 Dutchman's Lane, Plaza I, Louisville, KY 40207, US
A Ronald McDonald Family Room, located inside the walls of a hospital, is a smaller version of the Ronald McDonald House where we offer comfort and respite for families of children receiving medical treatment. Our Family Room keeps parents within steps of their ill child during a difficult and critical time.
Families with a baby in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) at Norton Suburban Hospital are eligible to stay at Ronald McDonald Family Room at no charge. RMFR is staffed by volunteers seven days a week. Families are able to take a refreshing shower, grab a snack, wash their clothes, email their kids at home, research their infant's illness or just get a good night's sleep.
Services & Amenities
- Four sleeping rooms where families can get a good night's rest without being far
- Two restrooms with shower facilities
- Lactation room with two breast pumps
- Kitchenette area with microwave, refrigerator and stocked with snacks and coffee
- Coca Cola machine with juices, water, and soft drinks for a quarter
- Comfortable recliners and sofa
- Computer with Internet access and printer
- Cable TV, VCR and DVD
- Washer and dryer
550 South First StreetLouisville, KY 40202
July 25, 2022
- Cooking / Catering
- Food Service
- Must be at least 10
- Dinner is served at approximately 6 p.m., please arrive between 4-4:30 p.m. for orientation. Brunch is served at approximately 10 a.m., please arrive between 8-8:30 a.m. for orientation. Early arrivals will not have access to the kitchen before the t