Adult Education Tutor - Remote
Howard Area Community Center
Note: This opportunity is currently remote but it will transition into an in-person opportunity once it is safe.
Volunteer tutors assist students with reading and writing, numeracy, English language acquisition, and/or computer literacy skills in a supportive environment. Both one-on-one and small group tutoring opportunities are available. Volunteer tutors are instrumental in encouraging and supporting the adult learner by helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about education. Tutors receive regular staff support, have access to a vast library of instructional materials, and join an active learning community of educators and volunteers for ongoing professional development. Scheduling is flexible.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend a 1 and ½ hour orientation, complete a class observation and participate in a 12-hour tutor training.
- Meet with student(s) weekly in a public, neutral location (preferably HACC or a public library) for 1.5-2 hours per week for a minimum of six months.
- Engage students in the decision-making process of developing an education plan and setting goals.
- Plan and design lessons and choose appropriate materials for student’s interest and level.
- Create a positive and encouraging learning environment that acknowledges and celebrates a student’s progress.
- Complete and submit paperwork (attendance records, goal sheets, student progress reports) in a timely manner.
- Refer students to other services as needed, in consultation with the Literacy Specialist or Manager
- Maintain appropriate professional boundaries with the student.
- Stay up to date about HACC's Adult Education Program through reading emails and newsletters and participate in professional development activities of interest.
- Respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
- Communicate with the Tutor Coordinator or Manager when there are questions, concerns or suggestions.
About Howard Area Community Center
7648 N. Paulina, Chicago, IL 60626, US
The mission of Howard Area Community Center is to assist low-income individuals and families in the greater Rogers Park and adjacent communities to stabilize their lives and to develop the social skills necessary to become effective community members
Howard Area Community Center (HACC) is a social service agency that provides free education, employment, and health assistance programs for the greater Rogers Park area. Many of HACC’s services are life-sustaining. Individuals and families set their own goals, and HACC is here to lend a helping hand along their journey to success.